Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 F-body plastic tank plumbing

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 99 F-body plastic tank plumbing

I've grown tired of the gas smell from the in-cab gas tank behind my seat, and found a nice complete 99 F-body tank to mount under the bed somewhere.

I also have the filler neck and gas cap from this tank, so I'm assuming this cap is non-vented.

On my diagram:

1: Feed line
2: Return line

3, 5, 6, 7, 8: Looks like EVAP/Charcoal canister???

4: Filling vent? The hose leading away from it doesn't go anywhere, but I don't imagine it's just an open vent to the atmosphere.

9, 10: pump wiring and sending unit?

For a non-emissions setup, what are my plumbing options? What type of venting modifications do I need to make to get it working? Can I use anything from the factory evap/charcoal canister to keep smells down?

What can I use for a fuel gauge?

I'm planning to use a walbro or some other aftermarket pump with the stock bucket.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think I have my questions answered from research over at the thirdgen site.

The consensus over there is to leave all the EVAP stuff on the tank as-is (maybe just pull off that #8 hose). This supposedly allows the fuel tank to vent through the charcoal canister.

From there, I need to wire the fuel pump power and run wires from the sending unit to an aftermarket gauge. (perhaps one like this? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATM-4316/)

I already have a corvette style filter/regulator plumbed into my fuel system, so I'll need to gut out the built-in regulator, and put a Walbro 255 pump in the stock bucket.

Should address several concerns for me - gassy odor inside the cab, potential for fuel starvation at less than 1/4 tank, and of course, more weight moved behind the rear axle.

If anyone has any opinions outside of this info, I'd be glad to hear it! -
Old 05-03-2011, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd be just curious to know how the #3-#5 and #7 work ? function and how/when activated. ? just to get a better understanding of the system.. since I don't have a FSM to read up on it..
Old 05-03-2011, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Me too, but what I gather is that the EVAP solenoid on the tank below the charcoal canister is "open" by default. I could butcher what happens from there, just do a google search

plastic tank evap site:thirdgen.org

Old 05-03-2011, 04:49 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim,

question, what would happen if you were to use both fuel regulators? I am dropping the 4th gen fbody pump into my 2nd gen f body tank. I was going to plumb it out to the corvette regulator and return to the return on the pump. I'd be interested in how to disassemble the pump unit...thanks for any help.

Leon
Old 05-03-2011, 05:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by reedld
Jim,

question, what would happen if you were to use both fuel regulators? I am dropping the 4th gen fbody pump into my 2nd gen f body tank. I was going to plumb it out to the corvette regulator and return to the return on the pump. I'd be interested in how to disassemble the pump unit...thanks for any help.

Leon
The fuel pressure will controlled by the regulator with the lower pressure, the other regulator wont bypass any fuel back to the tank.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:05 PM
Launching!

thank you...so which regulator would you guys suggest using? OEM in the pump or (external near the tank) corvette one?
Old 05-03-2011, 06:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Option #1 you can just use the intank one as is (replacing pump with a Walbro) and not use the Vette FPR.. just use a inline filter is all that is needed..

or option #2.. gut the sending regulator out of it .. use a intank pump directly to the bulkhead and out to a Vette FPR.. with return line.

Don't make it more complicated that it really needs to be ...
Old 05-03-2011, 07:02 PM
TECH Resident

I remember, someone here work on the plastic tank, delete the EVAP/canistor and add the stainless fuel line ,AN fittings plumbs and breather.. Looks nice.
Do search here
Old 05-03-2011, 07:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bczee
Option #1 you can just use the intank one as is (replacing pump with a Walbro) and not use the Vette FPR.. just use a inline filter is all that is needed..

or option #2.. gut the sending regulator out of it .. use a intank pump directly to the bulkhead and out to a Vette FPR.. with return line.

Don't make it more complicated that it really needs to be ...
OK..I thought using both FPR would be alright. I am going to remove my Vette FPR and external electric pump. I will plumb the new pump so I will use the internal pump FPR...then onto the fuel filter and then to engine.

like this...

http://www.vetteworksonline.com/ls1_conversion_fuel.htm

I ordered the russell fuel line adapters...then realized the 4th gen pump I bought was from a 2002. Both return and pump lines are the same diameter (ugh! I need to buy another adapter).

thanks guys. Leon
Old 05-03-2011, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I see the diagram shows the T right at the outlet, and right back into the return. Don't see why that wouldn't work! Seeing how simple that is, I might just end up ditching my corvette regulator/filter.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Teching In

Where will the return line go?

Quick Reply: 99 F-body plastic tank plumbing