Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 05-20-2016, 02:16 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Cooling System Guides
Print Wikipost

Is it my water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 05:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is it my water pump?

Before I spend the money on a new water pump, I am looking for some confirmation. My 2001 SS runs at normal temps for about 20 minutes then overheats into the red whether I am in the city or on the highway. The thermostat is new, radiator is clean, no oil in the coolant or vice-versa, and the radiator cap does not allow coolant into the reservoir unless it is overheating. Once it overheats, there is no fluctuation and it stays hot until I let is sit to completely cool off. The car was only driven about 100 miles over that past 6 months and everything was fine previously. Water pump?
Old 05-02-2011, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm no professional, but I'd agree with your diagnosis. If the T-stat is new, Water Pump is the next place I would look.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

put new rad cap on...........cheap insurance
Old 05-03-2011, 02:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how hot? how hot was it outside? it shouldnt be hot on the highway if you have no leaks. i say check for leaks first. could be a leak, air in your system or stuck thermostat. start with the cheapest.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:37 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not the water pump..........try replacing the cap.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:39 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Are your fans coming on?

Run the engine from cold with the radiator cap off. When the engine heats up and the thermostat opens, you should see water coursing through the radiator-including water squirting in from the head steam line return inlet nipple just under the radiator neck.

Water gushing through the radiator when the thermostat is open? Pump is good. No? Pump is bad.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:26 PM
Teching In

Bought a radiator cap and water pump today. I'll try the cap first but I doubt that's it. If so I can return the pump. If not, the pump is next. Thanks for your responses. In answer to them, by hot I mean in-the-red-time-to-pull-over hot. This happened when it was about 60 and then again when it was about 80 degrees outside. Water is moving in the radiator when the thermostat opens (just replaced that) but I certainly would not say it is "gushing". There are no leaks anywhere - not a drop except what is coming out of the puke can.

Will give an update later this week if anyone cares to hear what I came up with.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Are your fans coming on?

Run the engine from cold with the radiator cap off. When the engine heats up and the thermostat opens, you should see water coursing through the radiator-including water squirting in from the head steam line return inlet nipple just under the radiator neck.

Water gushing through the radiator when the thermostat is open? Pump is good. No? Pump is bad.
I agree with this 100%. Check your fans too. First things first, and it's an easy/free check.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:43 PM
Teching In

Well, it's not my water pump or my cap - found that out the hard way. Fans always worked, no problem there. WTF!!! I drove 30 minutes to work this morning, 50 degrees outside. Car ran great until about the last 5 minutes of my trip when it started overheating. After work I checked the radiator before starting up and it had water in it although not to the top of the fill neck. I drove home, 75 degrees outside. Car ran great for about 10 minutes then started to overheat while driving at highway speeds. I am now thinking head gasket leaking into an exhaust port? There is no sign of it that I can see, like vapor coming out the exhaust, but maybe a slow leak?
Old 05-06-2011, 07:17 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Long shot here: Have you recently replaced or removed & reinstalled the serpentine belt?
Old 05-12-2011, 08:27 PM
Teching In

It was the radiator. Suprising since the previous owner was meticulous with maintenance and from what I could see, the inside was spotless. Must have just been age. Anyone need a perfectly good water pump, thermostat and cap? Grrrr...

Quick Reply: Is it my water pump?