Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Speakers went out.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 08:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speakers went out.

Today I was cruising around and decided to play some rap to see how my sub sounded. I got about 100 ft and all my speakers just stopped playing I didn't install the system, it came with the car. It has a sub and like 3 amps would a fuse have gone off or something because I wouldn't think the speakers would have blown when I only had it at 11 out of 39 volume wise. The headunits like an after market dpvideo or something. The headunit's still going strong but I have 0 sound. I also have a speaker under both the passenger and driver seat. If anyone could give me a suggestion as to where to start that would be awesome thanks a ton in advance!
Old 05-04-2011, 07:51 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

seems like your system has better taste in music than you do, and refused to play that crap.

jk
Old 05-04-2011, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you are running 3 external amps, then there is probably a fat 4 AWG or larger wire coming off your positive battery terminal. Look for an aftermarket fuse enclosure about the size of a disposable lighter spliced into that wire between the battery and the firewall, probably near the passenger fender before the ECU. It's usually a clear little enclosure with a big 80A or whatever fuse in it.

Check that first. If you don't find anything, look for a power distribution block on an amp rack, and there may be fuse enclosures near it. If all that checks out okay, then check for fuses on the amps themselves. They usually are regular colored automotive type fuses near the control switches and trim pots.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:23 PM
Teching In

I checked the power distribution block fuses and there's 2 spots for fuses; there's one working one and the other spot is empty. It's been running off one fuse since I got it. Had trouble finding the fuses on the amps themselves. It seems the amps aren't getting power as the power light is off on the main larger power middle amp. The other 2 don't have the light. The fuse coming off of the battery terminal is fine. I'd guess it was the stupid BCM except the stereo's still going strong; plays dvds and such. Thanks for the help so far, keep it coming.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Snowman5677
I checked the power distribution block fuses and there's 2 spots for fuses; there's one working one and the other spot is empty. It's been running off one fuse since I got it. Had trouble finding the fuses on the amps themselves. It seems the amps aren't getting power as the power light is off on the main larger power middle amp. The other 2 don't have the light. The fuse coming off of the battery terminal is fine. I'd guess it was the stupid BCM except the stereo's still going strong; plays dvds and such. Thanks for the help so far, keep it coming.
How are the amps activated? Are they using RCA level inputs, or using line-level from the powered head-unit output?

If they are using RCA inputs, it's likely they rely on a little "remote" activation wire. If you have a volt meter, make sure the activation wire is charging when the HU is on. Can't remember if it's supposed to be 5 or 12 VDC. The activation signal is likely daisy chained from the first amp on to the next and the last.

Also, which distro block doesn't have a fuse in it? Power or Ground? It's fine if ground doesn't have one, but it should still have a conductor inside or it will be an open circuit.

Can you identify the make/model of the amps and HU?
Old 05-04-2011, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a cheap voltmeter otherwise you are shooting in the dark
Old 05-05-2011, 07:27 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Capricio
How are the amps activated? Are they using RCA level inputs, or using line-level from the powered head-unit output?

If they are using RCA inputs, it's likely they rely on a little "remote" activation wire. If you have a volt meter, make sure the activation wire is charging when the HU is on. Can't remember if it's supposed to be 5 or 12 VDC. The activation signal is likely daisy chained from the first amp on to the next and the last.
Just FYI... RCA and "line-level" are the same thing - also known as "pre-amp" output. I think you meant line-level versus speaker-level (amplified) signal.

Most aftermarket amps use a 12V "remote turn-on" wire (blue with white) from the head unit but the use of signal sensing or a remote turn-on wire is not dependent on line-level versus speaker-level input. Either type of input can be used with either type of amplifier activation. A remote turn-on wire is easier and cheaper to implement in an amp's design so it is much more common than signal sensing.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

yah check for power at the amp... or is the amp in safety shut down mode?
Old 05-09-2011, 03:46 PM
Teching In

The headunit and amps from my knowledge are generic and cheap. But stereos aren't my forte as you can see. I have two xtant 2100b amps and 1 Usa-100 amp thats from Usa-Amps. The headunit is a dpvideo dzp901bh dvd stereo. If it is in safety shut down mode how do I get it out of it or check if it is?
Old 05-09-2011, 06:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

my amp goes to a red light instead of a blue light when it is on (some amps yellow instead of green). This indicates a short,, a blown sub or wiring issues. If you cycle the ignition does it come back on for a minute? Also could be a bad ground on the amp.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:23 PM
Teching In

Yeah we went and cycled the ignition and the first time the power light flashed on but it wouldn't do it again.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://ampguts.com/forum/xtant-257/xtant-2100b-3563/

did you find the 30 amp fuse in the 2100b and check it?

The US Amps document also indicates there is an internal 50A fuse:

http://www.usamps.com/technical/pdf/wp100_99.pdf

http://ampguts.com/forum/us-amps-244...sa-100-a-3491/

You can also try disconnecting the speakers and see if the amps turn on one at a time. Did you ever determine how the amps are activated? Did you verify the remote wire voltage is there?

Try isolating elements and run just one amp at at time with no load (speakers disconnected). People really want to help you here, but we need to know which of things we suggested you have actually tried so far.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:16 PM
Teching In

So today we went out and started taking the amps out when we realized the power wasn't even getting to the amps.(Duh) So we got our 12V tester out and tested the fuse on the battery terminal and it turns out one of the ends of the fuses was corroded even though the fuse looked fine. Went out bought a new one and it's working like a charm. Thanks for all the help guys!