General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

AC help. Please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 09:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AC help. Please!

Alright, my Ac went out and I had it recharged. The shop said the condensore was bad but that they could recharge the system they just didn't kno how long it would last.
Now, the system still cools only thing is when I switch the settings from max ac to the defrost vent it only blows air to the floor and from the top vent on the dash. It won't blow any air through the front facing vents. Anyone kno what the problem might be or how this happened? Still waiting on a response from the shop, I just don't want to have to pay for this repair if it was working perfectly fine, only blowing hot air not cool air, before I had them recharge the system. Answers, Ac info, any help please?!
Old 05-03-2011, 09:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Car is a 2001 Pontiac T/a WS6.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

While searching, funny thing is I found a Ls1 tech thread using Google and couldnt find any threads using Ls1 tech search... Anyways, I found a thread that says a vaccum line runs along the passenger side towards the PCM.? I did notice a hard plastic line that was broken in half around the area of the PCM. Could this be my problem?
Old 05-03-2011, 10:03 PM
TECH Regular

^^^^^^yes.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

What do I use to fix it? Heat shrink rubber tubing? Can I get that at an auto parts store?
Old 05-04-2011, 05:06 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it the line that is broken or the check valve? It is usually the valve that breaks and that costs like 5 dollars at the store. A picture would help too if you can.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yes it is a line that is broken. Kinda reminds me of a fishing rod how the tip is slim and a little flexible.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:52 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could fix it a number of ways. Replace the actual line completely with a similar type hose. Or, if it's a hard hose, you can splice it together using rubber hose that's larger. If you get a snug enough fit shoving the hard plastic in the rubber hose, you wouldn't need clamps of any kind either. You may want to trim the hose ends a bit as it broke for a reason, likely brittle hard plastic hose. Trim a bit of each end and splice together or replace completely. Easy though.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so you know, the ducting behind the dash has a plenum with doors on it that diverts air to either the dash vents, defroster vent, or floor vents. It works with vacuum lines, with vacuum being supplied by the engine. When your vents don't work any more or air only comes out one set of vents, it's either a busted plenum duct (they are cheap plastic and the doors can break off), or a bad HVAC head unit in the dash that needs replacing, or a problem with vacuum and lines.

You should be able to pick up automotive hvac tubing at a auto parts store, it needs to be a hard plastic so that it doesn't collapse under air pressure, and they ought to sell little repair kit just for you, bring an inch of the plastic tubing and say i need a repair/splice kit for this.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:00 AM

if you splice, keep an eye on your work for a while to make sure engine bay heat doesnt melt your splice. hard tubes recommended in engine bay due to high temp.
soft rubber NOT recommended due to low heat tolerance. but broken vaccum is definitely your problem, had the same thing with my '89, spicing will be easiest and cheapest fix. should get vent air after repair =)

Quick Reply: AC help. Please!