Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Order of install

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Order of install

I am going to do a complete exhaust system piece by piece. headers, y pipe and cat back. But since they are all pretty expensive, i can only do them one at a time. Is there a rule of thumb for order or install in terms of ease? Also, is a coated y pipe worth the extra money like it would be on a header? Thanks
Old 02-22-2004, 09:28 PM
TECH Veteran

1) cat back.....its cheap and easy
2) headers AND y-pipe...you cant do one without the other (unless you are doing shorty headers)

Now, if you are by any chance thinking of doing true duals, do the headers AND the exhaust at the same time because its a custom build (exhaust).

The coated y-pipe probubly won't give you more HP but it will keep it from rusting (longer life). I personally just painted mine (no point spending the extra $$ here in AZ's dry climate ).
Old 02-22-2004, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Is there any differentiation on connecting a y pipe up to the cat back? Any rule of thumb on compatibility?
Old 02-22-2004, 09:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 99PewterBone
Is there any differentiation on connecting a y pipe up to the cat back? Any rule of thumb on compatibility?
Usually no. Most y-pipes and catbacks will work together, but this would be something to ask the people you are going to buy from. Decide which headers you want as this will then dictate which y-pipe you will use (can't use a hooker y-pipe on SLP headers ). Then ask if the catback you have/want to use/etc will work with that header/y-pipe setup.