Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever use felpro gaskets during a cam swap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 01:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone ever use felpro gaskets during a cam swap?

My local advance has all the Felpro gaskets i would need in stock. I was wondering if anyone has ever used them during a cam swap and are they just as good as quality as the gm equivalants?
Old 05-04-2011, 01:47 PM
Launching!

Well if you're just doing a cam swap...you can usually get away with reusing all gaskets. I used felpro graphite head gaskets when I did mine...of course I swapped heads and they've done great. I don't trust felpro for water pump gaskets....you should be able to reuse the timing cover gasket with some high temp rtv sealant ran along the bottom. Of course...I think my year car (98) was the only car with graphite water pump gaskets....I used a stock used gasket off a 2002 which is metal with a little rubber ring....I still used a little high temp rtv on those guys anyways

So In summary....you shouldn't need any, but if you do need water pump gaskets...get OEM...if you're swapping heads those gaskets are fine assuming the .054" compression thickness works for your PtV and compression
Old 05-04-2011, 01:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a cam? Why pull the heads at all? Unless you're swapping heads or the gaskets have a problem, save the time and expense. The rest of the gaskets can be reused as long as they were removed with care. I've done probably 50 cam swaps reusing gaskets and I have yet to get a comeback for a leak.

Only one I wouldn't reuse is the cam retainer plate. Note that the updated retainer plate (if you've never worked on your engine before) has countersunk holes. It requires new bolts that have a wider head. Dealer carries them.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

thats good news if most of the gaskets can be reused. i guess i am just used to replacing old gaskets with new ones.

Last edited by lusting4ls1; 05-04-2011 at 04:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever use felpro gaskets during a cam swap?