Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bump Stop Swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 02:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bump Stop Swap

This is something that would be very easy and not even worth a write up if you choose to use stock replacement bump stops. I chose not to because I live in Dubai and the dealer wanted over $150 for the pair!

Anyway, I bought part "Energy Suspension 9-9137R - Energy Suspension Bump Stops" from Summit and as result had to make minor modifications. You can use a Pipe Wrench or some sort of metal cutter for the mods. Other tools/parts needed include a 13mm socket, a hammer, some black paint (up to you really).

A pic of the reason I have to change them!

There are 2 13mm bolts holding the stock bump stop in. Remove them and pull off the old rotten part.

Now, you see what they should look like.

Before simply bolting the new ones in, you have to take care of a metal lip that over hangs and gets in the way of the new parts. You can see that white lip in the below pic.

I used a pipe wrench to bend the lip outwards.

You can see in the below pic the lip has almost been flattened so that it is parallel to the ground.

Now there is room to bolt in the new bump stop.

I wasn't happy leaving it looking like this so I used a hammer to straighten out the lip and then painted it with a black spray paint. And done!

The first thing I checked was the clearance of the lip that I bent outwards. I was concerned it might catch the wheel. I have plenty of room but for you guys running big a** wheels, you might want to use a cutter and just chop that lip off!

Well, a simple job that most of you might think doesn't need a write up, but when I was researching I got a lot of info about the part from Summit but I wasn't prepared for the metal lip. It was PITA because I had jacked up, removed both wheels before I had to put it back together and go to Ace to buy a wrench!
Old 05-04-2011, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

have you hit them yet?

I'm curious how harsh they are when you slam into them
Old 05-06-2011, 06:52 AM
Teching In

Only driven a few KM's in them and definitely notice there is less suspension travel, which is great because my springs were quite creaky before going over speed humps. As for harshness, can't say I even feel them hitting - whereas before when I hit a bump I thought my rear axle was coming through the back seats!

Quick Reply: Bump Stop Swap