General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Replacing my thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 11:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing my thermostat

Hey everyone. I was going to replace my thermostat in my car today, so I was wondering if anyone could direct me to a DIY page or at least provide advice. I heard there were two different types of thermostat's for our cars.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

just get a replacement factory thermostat. Also you will need to remove the water pump and the rubber hoses. Be ready for some coolant to spill out. You will just have to add some when you are done. Pretty easy job though.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:18 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

hahaha......wait a minute.

You DO NOT need to remove the water pump.

You need to simply remove two bolts that hold the t-stat housing on to the water pump......then the t-stat housing comes loose. Leave the radiator hose attached to the housing. Simply push in on the t-stat and turn it and it will come free from the mounts. Then put the new t-stat in. Then bolt the t-stat housing back on with the two bolts.

Its at most....a 5 minute job with a ratchet and a socket.

*****if you have the type of t-stat where the t-stat itself is permanently fixed to the housing....then you need to remove the radiator hose also. Then just bolt on the new housing and put the radiator hose back on. At most, its a 7 minute job.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

my mistake. I was thinking of something else. Didn't mean to misinform. Still an easy job though.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
hahaha......wait a minute.

You DO NOT need to remove the water pump.

You need to simply remove two bolts that hold the t-stat housing on to the water pump......then the t-stat housing comes loose. Leave the radiator hose attached to the housing. Simply push in on the t-stat and turn it and it will come free from the mounts. Then put the new t-stat in. Then bolt the t-stat housing back on with the two bolts.

Its at most....a 5 minute job with a ratchet and a socket.

*****if you have the type of t-stat where the t-stat itself is permanently fixed to the housing....then you need to remove the radiator hose also. Then just bolt on the new housing and put the radiator hose back on. At most, its a 7 minute job.

What he said, but dont forget to put a little thermostat gasket around the o-ring to hold it in place before you put the thermostat housing back on!!!
Old 05-06-2011, 09:48 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Don't forget to drain the coolant first! (Or, you'll get a wet surprise.)

If you go to Rock Auto, they illustrate the issue with the parts well. (Or you can go to AC Delco's site.) The original water pump casting is different than the replacement pump casting (after 2005, or something like that) and you need a thermostat, which will match up to the pump. For this reason, I'd recommend going with an AC Delco part vs. another company. (Who knows what you will get?) BTW - RockAuto has their thermostats in many different categories. Just keep looking in the water pump/cooling section until you find the AC Delco parts.)

Another thing with the thermostat is that the replacement will be in one part, along with the water pump neck. Your OEM thermostat and neck may have been in two pieces.

Looking back at my records, the AC Delco thermostat I used on my original pump was p/n 12571261
Old 05-06-2011, 10:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

So the new model is the two piece right? The one on my car, the housing and t-stat are one unit.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:29 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny2tek
So the new model is the two piece right? The one on my car, the housing and t-stat are one unit.
The newer ones are one piece. I think they changed the part sometime in the middle of the run of the last generation. My '99 was built in July of '99 and had the two piece part delivered from the factory.

Quick Reply: Replacing my thermostat