Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Some questions about sound deadening doors

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 05:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Some questions about sound deadening doors

Hello everyone, hoping to place an order here shortly to get my feet wet in the sound deadening world. I would like to deaden both of my doors when I pull them off to fix the cracks and possibly replace the window motors at the same time.

Anyways, I have a couple questions:

1.) How much is required for covering the doors in these cars? I want to order enough, but really don't need to have a bunch laying around.

2.) I usually see people covering basically everything with whatever product they get, but according to Sound Deadener Showdown (http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/products/cld) you only need to cover 25% of the surface to get proper dampening characteristics. Has anyone tried the less is more approach with positive resutls?

3.) My intention at this moment is to go with Second Skin Audio products, but I am unsure whether anything other than the Damplifier Pro is a waste or not. Has anyone tried layering the Luxury Liner Pro over the Damplifier Pro in the doors? Is that something that would be better on the inside of the door skin (where the window rolls down) or between the door panel and the inner door skin (where the moisture barrier is)?

4.) Would applying liquid based sound deadener (such as Spectrum) be easier/better than cutting the Damplifier Pro into strips and installing that way?

I know there are a lot of threads on this, but the information seems pretty scattered about results and I wanted to ask the specific questions above as I continue to do research, so please don't crucify me. I've spent hours reading up on the subject and still don't have definitive answers to these questions. Thanks in advance for your time.

Last edited by Shenlon; 05-05-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Personally, I had planned on doing my entire car, using a liquid in all the cracks and hard to get to places like the quarters in the hatch and such, and the using a usual sound deadener (not sure which), and the the Luxery Liner Pro over it in certain areas.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:46 PM
TECH Resident

I'm in the beginning stages of my own sound dampening too. Here's what I am thinking:

80 square feet of damplifier pro.

Cover key areas. I am NOT laying down the material on every sqaure inch of the interior. Look at a drum. Put one strip of dampener on it - and it muffles effectively. Of course, the more you put on it, the bigger the muffle effect will be - but for MY purpose, 80 square feet covering main areas will suffice. Doors, as I am sure you know are "loud" spots. Might even buy some of the luxury liner for just the doors.

Watch for my interior rebuild thread.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wouldnt that be heavy as lead??
Old 05-06-2011, 02:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Layering the Luxury Liner Pro over the Damplifier Pro for use on the inner door skin , you can also use OverKill Pro, with good results!
FYI, the foam is closed cell so it won't absorb moisture, so no worries with it in the doors.
IMO, glue the Luxury Liner Pro or OverKill Pro to the Damplifier Pro at least 8hrs before cutting it into 6" x 8" pieces and installing it to the inner door skins.
That way it'll minimize the spray adhesive odor. Apply it from the bottom all the way up to the crash bar, from front to back.

Quick Reply: Some questions about sound deadening doors