Sponsored by:

LY6 won`t start, HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 06:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LY6 won`t start, HELP

ok, maybe someone can help me.
I just finished swapping a 2007 LY6 into my ****** MB Jeep.
Engine comes from a 2500 Silverado with 34.000 miles.
Today was the D day...first start....nothing.
I scanned it and it gave me a code related to the gas pedal. I checked all wires and there were 2 in the wrong positions. Changed, no code anymore, but the engine still does not want to start. (but now the TB works with ignition at On position))
We checked fuel press at the fuel rail, it was ok...we continued checking and found that theres NO spark and NO pulse to the injectors.
So we start checking all grounds, wire continuity, wire positions at both ends (sensor and ECM) all is ok.
So I called Nelson Performance, who retuned my ECM.
Erica was very nice at the phone, took note of what is happening and talk to the tune guy (Allen ?). Then she told me that probably the VATS is still working, that they had this problem with some 2007+ ECM where they need to delete the VATS more than one time (not exactly with this words), and she told me that they will be sending me another ECM next week.
Good thing, Nelson, as usual, is responding.
Bad thing, theres`still the posibility that with the new ECM it does not run and to know that, I will need to wait 2 weeks (the ecm needs to be ship to Miami, then to Chile).

Question is..any clue on what could be happening ?
Any experience with problems retuning 2007+ ECMs ?

Thanks for any help

Sebastian
Old 05-05-2011, 07:28 PM
Teching In

ok, I read a few of post about LY6 not starting and some of them talk about a "starter enable wire" that needs to be grounded..
How is that ??
What/where do I need to check ?

Thanks
Old 05-05-2011, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

varas. I am assuming since you are in chile you speak spanish if so let me know since I could probaly explain this better since spanish is my first and main day language I use but here it is....

you said you had two wire hooked on wrong and you fixed them and have no more code. did you just erase the code or did you also actually unplug the battery ... if not trying doing so unplug it to let the ecm reset..
I had a similar problem where I hook the pedal last and the ecm would not read it...
also you are saying that there is no spark and no pulse for the injectors, that sounds like no power to ignition, I used my own harness and I dont know how nelson;s are but I am assuming you have several fuses and a few relays,
have someone turn the key as you check that power is getting to both sides of the fuses, both with the key turn to on and also turn to cranck. sometimes if you only have power thru the fuses at "cranck" when the engine is trying to start and you let the key go back to "on" the fuses dont have power and you loose spark and fuel... on the "starter inable wire" I think if you had that problem the truck or car's engine wont even crank over ......good luck man... I will trying to help but you could find me easier at fptransport at yahoo.com since I dont come thru here that often ....I am in san antonio also just like nelson je je

Last edited by fptransport; 05-05-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fptransport
varas. I am assuming since you are in chile you speak spanish if so let me know since I could probaly explain this better since spanish is my first and main day language I use but here it is....

you said you had two wire hooked on wrong and you fixed them and have no more code. did you just erase the code or did you also actually unplug the battery ... if not trying doing so unplug it to let the ecm reset..
I had a similar problem where I hook the pedal last and the ecm would not read it...
also you are saying that there is no spark and no pulse for the injectors, that sounds like no power to ignition, I used my own harness and I dont know how nelson;s are but I am assuming you have several fuses and a few relays,
have someone turn the key as you check that power is getting to both sides of the fuses, both with the key turn to on and also turn to cranck. sometimes if you only have power thru the fuses at "cranck" when the engine is trying to start and you let the key go back to "on" the fuses dont have power and you loose spark and fuel... on the "starter inable wire" I think if you had that problem the truck or car's engine wont even crank over ......good luck man... I will trying to help but you could find me easier at fptransport at yahoo.com since I dont come thru here that often ....I am in san antonio also just like nelson je je
Thanks for your response.
You have a private message.

We checked all fuses and everything is ok, when the key is at ON or crancking.
I did disconect the battery after erasing the code.
I have power to the coils and injectors, but theres no pulse while crancking.
Edit: Today we used another scanner and no codes where found. Also, we tested the cam position sensor and the crank position sensor while crancking the engine and they give the reference voltage.

Last edited by svaras; 05-06-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Teching In

Nobody ??
Old 05-07-2011, 12:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by svaras
ok, I read a few of post about LY6 not starting and some of them talk about a "starter enable wire" that needs to be grounded..
How is that ??
What/where do I need to check ?

Thanks
Some 2007 operating systems have a check sum error in the starter enable circuit. If this were the case you would have spark but no fuel signal (noid).
This has always been on the 2007 E38 ECU in my experience. It's a simple matter to add a 100 ohm resistor to the starter enable wire. See here, good luck.

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....-disable-guide
Old 05-13-2011, 03:17 PM
Teching In

Wich is the voltage pulse a crank and cam sensor need to deliver in order to have RPM read at the ECM ??
The scanner does not give any RPM while cranking, but we checked the sensor with a Osilloscope at the ECM connector and they have pulse.
Attached the graph from the scope. First one is from the cam, second from the crank
Attached Thumbnails LY6 won`t start, HELP-cam.jpg   LY6 won`t start, HELP-crank.jpg  

Quick Reply: LY6 won`t start, HELP