General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Maybe now you can diagnose the problem with my car (VIDEO)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 11:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maybe now you can diagnose the problem with my car (VIDEO)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOc4UTeAC10

notice how the RPM goes to 1.5K, stays there for a moment and goes up.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anymore details on the car? Like what year and mods?

It sounds like it is not firing on all cylinders with a corresponding "cam sound". It has the stock cam right? Have there been no error codes or SES lights at all? It's almost like when a spark plug wire fell off one of my coils one day, except that the coil was arching to the headers and there was a loud click each time that cylinder tried to fire.

Can you post a few more details and list what all you have replaced and why?
Old 05-06-2011, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
Anymore details on the car? Like what year and mods?

It sounds like it is not firing on all cylinders with a corresponding "cam sound". It has the stock cam right? Have there been no error codes or SES lights at all? It's almost like when a spark plug wire fell off one of my coils one day, except that the coil was arching to the headers and there was a loud click each time that cylinder tried to fire.

Can you post a few more details and list what all you have replaced and why?
Well the problem started about a month ago. I didn't have time to change the spark plugs and I thought that would help. I changed them and the problem didn't alleviate. I got a new throttle body with the TPS and the MAF sensor. That didn't help either.

The car is a 1996 Firebird. I don't know anything about codes. I haven't gotten that computer diagnostic thing. The previous owner physically removed the Check Engine Light and the Service Engine Soon light.

That's about all I can tell you. Everything is stock on the car I believe. It's a V6.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

shovelman, you keep on making new threads about the same problems and are getting nowhere. Bring the car to a reputable shop.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheSilverOne
shovelman, you keep on making new threads about the same problems and are getting nowhere. Bring the car to a reputable shop.
Just two threads. I had to make one with the video. Maybe you can help me? Or someone in Houston? I don't wanna get snaked by a mechanic again. It happened before with my wheel alignment and camber toe angle.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replied to your PM.

Just to sort of copy here...

3.8L have 3 ignition coilpacks which are each shared by 2 cylinders. It isn't uncommon for them to go out in these cars and if they do the car will idle and run like crap. I'm pretty sure 1996's were OBDII and Autozone should be able to scan for codes even if someone took the light out. They will do it for free and that will greatly help narrow it down.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

will an EGR valve from a Pontiac GTP work with my firebird? The connection fits