Do I have a Shift Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 04:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do I have a Shift Kit?

B&M Transpak

Good Afternoon,

I am wondering if a previous owner might have installed a shift kit or if the default action is the same as the "B&M Transpak" describes below.

Basically I can hold my car in 1st, 2nd, etc. until it hits the rev limiter which is unlike any other automatic that I have ever owned. If I already have a shift kit then I will start reading about a stall converter.

Thank you for your help.

Here is a description:

http://www.jegs.com/p/B-M/B-M-Transpak/748006/10002/-1

Product images may differ from actual product appearance.

Choose Your Shift Level!

The next step beyond the Shift Improver Kit. The Transpak has all the features in the Shift Improver Kit plus it provides additional driver manual control. Most conventional automatic transmissions won’t downshift into low gear above 15 mph, and automatically upshift at a predetermined speed no matter what gear you are in. With a Transpak you can downshift any speed, you can also hold the transmission in first gear to any speed that you want (except C-4, AOD, TH-200-4R, TH-700-R4 & 4L60E). This is an asset when towing a trailer or driving heavy loads downhill.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:02 PM
TECH Regular

Pretty sure u can hold it in gear and hit the rev limiter on all camaros and trans am atleast iv always been able too
Old 05-06-2011, 08:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

+1

The PCM is programmed to hold manual 2nd gear, factory stock.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

You can stay in 1st and 2nd and bounce the limiter if you do not move the lever. In 3rd, it should automatically select 1st or 2nd or even 3rd depending on speed at WOT. I remember when I first found out about 1st gear. I went WOT, hit the limiter, and then tried to shift it like a manual. Not so good, the trans will shift when IT FEELS LIKE IT or also known as "commanded by the PCM" which is the programmed shift RPM.

Try this...

Go WOT in 1st gear, and move the lever into 2nd (with foot on the floor still) and let us know what happens. It should stay in 1st until it hits the stock RPM shift point. Kinda scary when you realize you don't have much control over your car...