Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

74 NOVA LQ9. Going AWD

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 03:03 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 74 NOVA LQ9. Going AWD

I cant seem to stop doing new stuff to this car. i am just about done with the LQ9 4L60E swap on my Nova. When i had to spend some time working under my Escalade i noticed how simple the AWD system really is and how much i really want to make my Nova AWD. I have been doing some research and hopefully i will have a wrecked Escalade soon, i found one in Canada. Im looking a little closer to AZ.

In the meantime i am going to finish the Nova swap and get it on the road until i am able to get all the components needed to make this happen, i know that my Cross-member will have to be cut out along with my upper and lower control arms as they are along with the springs to make room for the axles and front Differential. My steering will also have to be upgraded.

Once the transfercase, front driveline, front differential are all in place i will have to build the cross-member around it.

Either way its getting done...

Old 05-07-2011, 03:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pics.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am researching an awd conversion. Getting the suspension set-up right, custom axles to connect my hubs to my front diff, and the cutting that would be needed to the floor boards are the details that drive the conversion. About the only thing that stays the same is your rear end set-up.

That being said, I'd like to share a link that really kicked off the idea for me. This is a completed AWD Stingray, proves that it's possible.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...ngray-awd.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1D9eB_7xNU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXovFqNVXYM

Enjoy

Last edited by turbinesurgeon; 09-25-2011 at 10:44 PM. Reason: New info to add
Old 05-07-2011, 09:25 AM
TECH Resident

What about the drive train from something similar in size like a BMW?
Old 05-07-2011, 12:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the electronics in a foreign AWD system would be a nightmnare. The Escalade's pcm will do that fine.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
I think the electronics in a foreign AWD system would be a nightmnare. The Escalade's pcm will do that fine.
Plus you don't need electronics at all to run AWD if you use a mechanical transfer case. GM made the BW 1372 & BW 4472. They were in 90's Bravadas, Astro minivans, Syclones & Typhoons. Finding one is really the hardest part, took me 4 months of searching to find mine.

After that you just need a front diff that won't disengage, and a whole lot of fab work
Old 05-07-2011, 06:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

How about a TBSS AWD, should be about the same wheel base. I love the idea of spinning all four wheels at the same time!!!
Old 05-07-2011, 08:25 PM
TECH Regular

while under the escalade i didnt see any electronics. doesnt mean that there isnt. but its not 4wd which needs to switch between 2w, 4wh, 4wl. its just awd all the time. we will see.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 74novacustom
while under the escalade i didnt see any electronics. doesnt mean that there isnt. but its not 4wd which needs to switch between 2w, 4wh, 4wl. its just awd all the time. we will see.
Hmmm. That is interesting.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:56 PM
On The Tree

Man I would love to do that to a 70 camaro. Please share as much as you can if you do this.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

Maybe the Escalade has a torsen style awd like the trailblazer ss did. If so that's gonna be a very tough awd with no further electronics needed. Look closely at the transfer case....

If it just has one plug-in going to the tail shaft, then that's just the speed sensor and it is mechanical awd. If it has one more going to it (tward the drivers side after the case splitline) then it is electronic and has a solinoid that engages and disengages the awd off the same wheel speed sensors the abs and traction control uses. It also means there is a control module somewhere one that truck that decides when it does that.

Let us know what you find
Old 05-08-2011, 08:06 PM
Teching In

check out this thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...-firebird.html
Old 05-08-2011, 08:09 PM
TECH Regular

I would use the TBSS front diff/oil pan setup over the escalade. Ground clearance would be much better and it bolts to the pan instead of the frame.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:46 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for that thread, wow people really crap on other peoples ideas over there, i guess on our forum we are already in the mind set of customization and swaps so an awd setup wouldnt be so out of the question here.

That tbss front diff looks much smaller and more of what i think im looking for. I will do more research into that setup. the escalade is just where i got the idea from..
Old 05-08-2011, 08:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by turbinesurgeon
Maybe the Escalade has a torsen style awd like the trailblazer ss did. If so that's gonna be a very tough awd with no further electronics needed. Look closely at the transfer case....

If it just has one plug-in going to the tail shaft, then that's just the speed sensor and it is mechanical awd. If it has one more going to it (tward the drivers side after the case splitline) then it is electronic and has a solinoid that engages and disengages the awd off the same wheel speed sensors the abs and traction control uses. It also means there is a control module somewhere one that truck that decides when it does that.

Let us know what you find
I will look for more electronics soon on my transfercase. as far as i know its full awd all the time. But with that tbss setup, it looks even easier that i had thought.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:24 PM
TECH Regular

well the TBSS AWD search seems to be taking some time.

On a side note i just finished my upper radiator hose and am ordering an oil catch can from RX this week with the AN fittings on it.

I cut my frame up and boxed it in so i could use the 6.0 stock ac compressor and bracket. 15.00 in Steel vs 250.00 for relocation bracket and 200.00 for a new compressor.

Also got in my new Griffin Radiator, i got the 31" one and i had to fab the battery bracket a little for clearance.

Temp. CAI is on, i will redo it when i get a couple more parts in, like 90deg elbow for TB.

Computer is now mounted inside fender near the firewall on the driver side, cant even see it.

Next to do. Instead of buying some crazy expensive gauge panel, im just going to make my own insert, i already have all the Autometer gauges.

After doing more research i found that my older 4.3 4L60E trans needs a Hughes spacer. Good thing i live 1 Mile from Hughes and good that i havent tried to drive it yet.

Pics will come soon, i lost the usb cable for my camera.

With the heat here in PHX its making it hard to spend much time on the car.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

I cut my frame up and boxed it in so i could use the 6.0 stock ac compressor and bracket. 15.00 in Steel vs 250.00 for relocation bracket and 200.00 for a new compressor.
I would really like to see what you did. What did you use for motor mounts?
Old 08-02-2011, 02:40 PM
TECH Regular

o geez, you will all laugh, i used a wire fed welder without gas, and it was left out in the rain so there was some issues with consistancy. but i will post some pics.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:32 PM
TECH Regular

Here is a link to some older pics on FB. I will get some current ones tonight on my phone.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...e01a163&type=1
Old 08-02-2011, 03:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

where are you at in Phoenix?

Quick Reply: 74 NOVA LQ9. Going AWD