Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help on my conversion!

Old 05-09-2011, 01:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help on my conversion!

Hello guys

In a previous post I said that I was having problems with my transmission because after 20 or so minutes of driving the transmission was down shifting by itself to 2nd and holding that gear for ever and when I give it gas it felt like the gear was slipping and sometimes it changed to neutral.

To make the story short I took the transmission to get rebuilt because I'm frustrated, I haven't been able to finish this project after almost two years, So this past week I received the transmission back from the shop I got it installed on the jeep and BOOM the transmission fail (Clutches burned) because the shop did something wrong during the rebuilt (I received a refund). So I take the whole jeep to a different shop and they rebuilt the/ transmission for the second time (I was there) and then I started thinking in where to go wheeling and future trips etc.

This Saturday the transmission guy call me and told me that the transmission is installed on the Jeep but the Jeep it's doing the same crap. and the guy from the shop is telling me that my problem could be that my Speedo!

My motor is a 4.8 LS motor from a 2006 Chevy express an my transmission is a 4l60E from a 2004 Chevy Tahoe, computer and harness was reworked by Jim's performance, Gauges are from Autometer.

Please guys help me on this one! And for all of you guys that have made the same conversion (Chevy Motor and transmmissionto a Jeep YJ) or are using the same motor, transmission and gauges can you please share how you wired your gauge! Maybe I'm missing something.

One more question, does my gauge need to send information to the pcm? if so would you be so kind and post a diagram!

Thank you to everyone in this forum for all your help
Old 05-09-2011, 06:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

The gauges are not causing the trans problem, unless you have a problem w/ the vss signal from the trans to the speedo, [assuming it's an electric gauge], being messed up.

I use basically the same combo. The vss is fed to the gauge, then out to the pcm.
My harness is a Howell, the gauges are all AM electric.
[The instructions for the wiring are in the pkge w/ the gauges.]

I suggest you scan the system, and post the scan and the .tun file, so we can look. A tracing of all the wiring is also in order.

Search this Thread