Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
Old 04-29-2016, 01:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

My stereo doesn't turn on right away sometimes. (electrical problem)

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 04:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My stereo doesn't turn on right away sometimes. (electrical problem)

When I turn on my car, the stereo doesn't turn on right away. But when it does, I hear a faint clicking noise and it turns on. It turns back off when I hit a bump or something but then it turns back on.

Sometimes it stays off even if I don't hit bumps but after an hour of driving (I only drive from home to school), the stereo turns on and remains on.

Help me.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:31 PM
Staging Lane

Seems like you have a loose connection/short. Do you have the stock or an aftermarket radio?

Pull the radio out so you can access the wires but leave it connected.
Check all the connections. Making sure they're all secure and not loose.
If everything seems fine.
Turn on the radio and start wiggling wires/connectors. While at the same time watching the radio & listening for the clicking noise. If you hear the clicking noise and/or the radio turns off while you have a specific wire in hand...make sure it's not damaged (broken insulation with exposed wire) and check its connection points (does it connect to another wire or go into a connector).
Hopefully this gives you a starting place.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sleepy_z
Seems like you have a loose connection/short. Do you have the stock or an aftermarket radio?

Pull the radio out so you can access the wires but leave it connected.
Check all the connections. Making sure they're all secure and not loose.
If everything seems fine.
Turn on the radio and start wiggling wires/connectors. While at the same time watching the radio & listening for the clicking noise. If you hear the clicking noise and/or the radio turns off while you have a specific wire in hand...make sure it's not damaged (broken insulation with exposed wire) and check its connection points (does it connect to another wire or go into a connector).
Hopefully this gives you a starting place.
Aftermarket. Thanks man.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:33 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Do your power windows quit at the same time as the radio stops working? If so, you probably have the common "broken solder joint in the BCM" problem. It makes the RAP (Retained Accessory Power) circuit cut out effecting both the radio and the windows. There is an easy fix that involves pulling the BCM and re-soldering the joints. Details are available here.

Quick Reply: My stereo doesn't turn on right away sometimes. (electrical problem)