Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 10:21 AM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 402 LS2 TVS1900 in a BMW

Now for something a little different

402 LS2, TVS1900 Magnacharger at 11 psi in a 98 BMW 540i

The goal here was stock like drive ability and as much torque as possible, it is not an all out "fastest car in the world" type of build. I use it as a daily driver

The shop didn't run the car to its 6500 redline (they only did the dyno, not any part of the build, which I did myself) - they were being very conservative so a larger HP number is there if I want to get on the dyno again, but I am not all that concerned with the peak HP number. The AFR numbers don't match up with the logs of my wideband - the car ran rich on the dyno in 4th, but runs spot on on the road in3rd (4th tops out at 150 so logging in 4th on the street isn't going to happen)

Here is a pic of the car (More pics in my build thread in my signature):

For the video hounds (no the guy in the car is not me) the car is very quiet until you open it up - YouTube - 2011-04-20 - At the Dyno

Specs:

LS2 Block
Forged Stroker (mid level stuff, nothing fancy)- ~9.5:1 compression
Stock 371 heads with ls2 valves and ls6 springs
Ls2 cam
Exhaust is modified 98 f-body manifolds to 2.5" dual cats to single 2.5" pipe - the goal was as quiet as possible
Walbro 255 pump with a BAP

01 F-body T-56 built by RPM performance (this is the 3rd BMW this transmission has been in )
Ls7 clutch
Old 05-10-2011, 10:35 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

******* awesome man !! That thing is so cool.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That's such a sweet build. That daily driver should surprise quite a few folks! Looking for "Just got raped by a stock looking 540i" in the Kill Section!
Old 05-10-2011, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

Wow no ****. Nice work man. Catch a few people off guard with that LOL
Old 05-10-2011, 02:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

You've seen my comments on BF but wanted to add something here. Run your 2.5" duals through your cats, an x-pipe, and through a BIG magnaflow muffler (or two) and you'll pick up a ton of HP without much noise. Quiet true duals on these engines with an X sounds as sophisticated as the Euro V8s. You can always add bullets if you need to tone down the noise further.

Again, this is a sweet build - a benchmark for conversions in many ways. Anxious to see what kind of MPGs you can squeeze out.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:13 PM
11 Second Club

Chicago has some nice sleepers apparently - congrats on the build
Old 05-10-2011, 03:32 PM
10 Second Club

nicely done!

think it would fit under the hood of an RX7? come back and say 'hi' at norotors sometime .
Old 05-13-2011, 08:18 AM
rao
TECH Resident

Thanks for the comments

Originally Posted by jmilz28
You've seen my comments on BF but wanted to add something here. Run your 2.5" duals through your cats, an x-pipe, and through a BIG magnaflow muffler (or two) and you'll pick up a ton of HP without much noise. Quiet true duals on these engines with an X sounds as sophisticated as the Euro V8s. You can always add bullets if you need to tone down the noise further.

Again, this is a sweet build - a benchmark for conversions in many ways. Anxious to see what kind of MPGs you can squeeze out.
The exhaust is not going to be changed. There isn't room to run duals without cutting up the floor pan. Even if it was easy I wouldn't do it. I am happy to trade some top end for peace and quiet. I don't need my neighbors busting out the pitchforks every time I start the car.

When you build your you can use a wide open exhaust and see how much it gains

I get about 12.5 MPG around town and mid 20s on the highway.

Originally Posted by mattster03
nicely done!

think it would fit under the hood of an RX7? come back and say 'hi' at norotors sometime .
I doubt it would fit under the hood. I'd stop by, but I don't recognize the place anymore
Old 05-14-2011, 02:13 AM
Teching In

Nicely done!
Old 05-14-2011, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

[QUOTE=rao;14908104]Thanks for the comments

The exhaust is not going to be changed. There isn't room to run duals without cutting up the floor pan. Even if it was easy I wouldn't do it. I am happy to trade some top end for peace and quiet. I don't need my neighbors busting out the pitchforks every time I start the car.

When you build your you can use a wide open exhaust and see how much it gains

I get about 12.5 MPG around town and mid 20s on the highway.

Ahh, I didn't realize you were so close to Chicago, now I understand the dedication to smog-**** avoidance. Rest assured though, you'd pick up a ton of power. Stock LS1s get 30-50rwhp (tuned) with headers and exhaust - and this is with cats and a real muffler. You'd get AT LEAST that much.
I'm very much against obnoxiously loud setups FWIW. This was my bone stock LS1 with ARH 1 7/8 long tube headers, cats, and good quiet y-pipe setup. It put down 342rwhp/356rwtq:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc9Aw...eature=related
This is the car with a cammed LS3, same exhaust and it did 465/432. It was quiet enough to hear the damn valvetrain over the exhaust, LOL:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTAXm...NCHCw&index=14
Here is inside the car, it was not loud in or out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdPIt...=13&playnext=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey6cu...NCHCw&index=15
I just hate to see such an awesome build leave easy power on the table when you could do it and still easily keep the neighbors at bay. Not stock sound like now, but close.

Awesome build and a real heartbreaker, regardless, if you decide to sell ever, please PM me.

Quick Reply: 402 LS2 TVS1900 in a BMW