LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

You guys are gonn get tired of me!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 12:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default You guys are gonn get tired of me!!

Was the radio below an option for the '05 GXPs?

Curious cause it's the radio I have and it's listed on EBay as a radio from an '07 C6 vette and wondering if this radio was put in by the first owner then it could explain some issues I'm having based on other stuff I have read on here.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:35 PM
12 Second Club

It's smae from what I have been told, minus the Vette logo
Old 05-10-2011, 12:51 PM
Teching In

I have the same setup you do in my '06. It is identical to the Vette's in appearance and software. The only difference David already pointed out, Pontiac emblem vs. Vette.

If you're getting the NO CD error, are you putting an MP3 disk in or a normal audio CD? Those are not programmed from the factory to run MP3's and you have to do a software upgrade on it to get it to work. There are a few links on here on how to do it and where to get the software.

Edit - depending on your build date you might have gotten a hybrid build with some parts from '05 and some from '06
Old 05-10-2011, 12:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by whelen1
I have the same setup you do in my '06. It is identical to the Vette's in appearance and software. The only difference David already pointed out, Pontiac emblem vs. Vette.

If you're getting the NO CD error, are you putting an MP3 disk in or a normal audio CD? Those are not programmed from the factory to run MP3's and you have to do a software upgrade on it to get it to work. There are a few links on here on how to do it and where to get the software.

Edit - depending on your build date you might have gotten a hybrid build with some parts from '05 and some from '06
One was a burnt CD but I also tried my daughter's Kid Bop CD and no dice

I'll do some searching and check out the links to see if maybe that will help my issues.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:07 PM
Teching In

I know with mine, if it does that I need to take it out and re-insert the CD multiple times to get it to read, especially if its cold.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

No! They are not the same! Similar, but not the same!

I recently went with an '11 Corvette radio and while it worked, I am now missing the date on my DIC, volume levels have changed a bit (equalizer settings and vehicle chimes), my NAV agree screen was a one-time only option and never pops up again, my steering wheel controls are jacked up, there is no "Speed Compensated Volume" but instead "Automatic Volume Control" which is controlled by a separate microphone.

If you want the Corvette NAV to actually fit, you have to change out the screens as the brackets are different.

Mind you, I only went to the stealership to get it VIN unlocked with the Tech 2. Maybe if they try to set it up, some of these features may get restored.

It is not necessary to remove these brackets from the screens but I'm showing it for informational purposes.

Testing the unit before swapping out the screens. The Grand Prix NAV has an extra notch at the top of the screen which does absolutely nothing (not pictured).

There is no search function, but those ticks can be touched to jump to certain locations:

Font size/type change in the CD menu (Grand Prix vs. Corvette):

EDIT: Adding another post to this.

Originally Posted by GXP25
Just finished this today:

They don't make them in black anymore (safety issue).

Last edited by GXP25; 12-22-2011 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Adding a later post.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:53 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by whelen1
I know with mine, if it does that I need to take it out and re-insert the CD multiple times to get it to read, especially if its cold.
does that happen with both bought AND burnt CDs?

No! They are not the same! Similar, but not the same!

I recently went with an '11 Corvette radio and while it worked, I am now missing the date on my DIC, volume levels have changed a bit (equalizer settings and vehicle chimes), my NAV agree screen was a one-time only option and never pops up again, my steering wheel controls are jacked up, there is no "Speed Compensated Volume" but instead "Automatic Volume Control" which is controlled by a separate microphone.

If you want the Corvette NAV to actually fit, you have to change out the screens as the brackets are different.

Mind you, I only went to the stealership to get it VIN unlocked with the Tech 2. Maybe if they try to set it up, some of these features may get restored.

It is not necessary to remove these brackets from the screens but I'm showing it for informational purposes.

Testing the unit before swapping out the screens. The Grand Prix NAV has an extra notch at the top of the screen which does absolutely nothing (not pictured).
So are your steering wheel buttons working at all? Based on what you've gone through with yours would you just spend the extra to get the correct one?

How about other aftermarket double din radios? I've found a few that have all the features these do and say they are universal. Anyone tried or had any success with them? I don't care really too much about the date but I do want everything else to function properly.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think you understand.

I have the OEM NAV that came with my car. I swapped it out for the Corvette one (changed the screens, hence the red backlighting - theirs is white) because GM added USB/iPod and AUX to it.

Changing out the NAV is pretty much a 50/50 deal. The main reason that people don't change it out is due to the turn by turn directions being displayed on the HUD.

My buttons still work, they've just been rearranged. "BAND" and "1-6" are missing and nonfunctional though.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:59 PM
12 Second Club

I don't think you understand.

I have the OEM NAV that came with my car. I swapped it out for the Corvette one (changed the screens, hence the red backlighting - theirs is white) because GM added USB/iPod and AUX to it.

Changing out the NAV is pretty much a 50/50 deal. The main reason that people don't change it out is due to the turn by turn directions being displayed on the HUD.

My buttons still work, they've just been rearranged. "BAND" and "1-6" are missing and nonfunctional though.
You were correct, I was assuming your stocker took a **** so you replaced it with the vette one like I about did, but since you still have your OEM one wanna get rid of it, my screen works fine so I wouldn't need it anyhow?

Just to make sure I got this, you gained USB/Ipod and Aux and lost/rearranged a couple buttons on the steering wheel, no navi on HUD, and date on the DIC? Do either have bluetooth?
Old 05-10-2011, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Everything works except for the things I listed.

Bluetooth is apart of the VCIM (OnStar module) so you'd have to pick one up from an '09 Corvette, TrailBlazer, or another '09+ Class 2 vehicle.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:43 PM
Staging Lane

GXP25 That is a sharp setup.... I want that
Old 05-10-2011, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

I wish my 06 had an aux input jack for my ipod.....the only thing my car doesnt have
Old 05-11-2011, 09:52 AM
12 Second Club

You are not gonna believe this crap but I got in the car last night and just to try the cheapest route first. As Whelen had said above, I stuck a CD in, a burnt one at that, and it played perfectly!!

And wow does the Bass in these radios pound!!!

Now if I can get the HUD and TC figured out I'll be set.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by rvd9431
I wish my 06 had an aux input jack for my ipod.....the only thing my car doesnt have
Old 05-11-2011, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

You guys just gotta get aftermarket pioneer. Fixes everything
Old 05-11-2011, 06:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by cacicgtp7
You guys just gotta get aftermarket pioneer. Fixes everything
Does everything still work?
Old 05-11-2011, 08:24 PM
Staging Lane

I am curious about this too... Anyone know the list of adapters that I would need to install a Pioneer aftermarket and still be able to use my OnStar, Monsoon speakers, and steering wheel controls
Old 05-11-2011, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have an aftermarket pioneer and cant for the life of me remember what i got to keep the controls and chimes....im sure if you emailed someone like crutchfield they could tell you what you would need
Old 04-21-2012, 02:17 PM

Hey guys. New to the forum.
On my 07 GXP im having a problem with my XM. Its suck on AUX1 or AUX2 and i cant get it off to change the XM channel.
Anyone else run into this problem?

Quick Reply: You guys are gonn get tired of me!!