General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car fell flat on its face, lacks power = plugs fouled?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car fell flat on its face, lacks power = plugs fouled?

Ok, so my car runs really bad when its cold out. So today I take it out to go to a car meet, step on it and it falls on its face, starts backfiring and misfiring. I try this several times, eventually it goes good but lacks power. Now I got home late, changed 7 out of the 8 plugs, too hot to get the last one on the passenger side.

I took it for a spin again, runs good but still lacks power. So hopefully after I change that last plug, it runs back to normal.

Anyone else ever had this problem. The 7 other plugs look tan with black around the metal.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, no replies, put the last new plug in took out the maf to clean it, found a piece of foam in it to seal it. Guess that was the problem. All fixed now.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SWEET98SS
Well, no replies, put the last new plug in took out the maf to clean it, found a piece of foam in it to seal it. Guess that was the problem. All fixed now.
This sounds very similar to the problem I'm having right now. My car isn't backfiring (probably because it's stock), but it is painfully down on power, while having no change in driveability; it's like someone swapped in the V6 in place of the V8. I suspected the MAF right away but have yet to find the time to clean it. Hopefully we'll have the same solution.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Screen still on the MAF?
Old 05-12-2011, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep, good thing too. The piece of foam was about 3" long. Runs great, drove it alot today.