Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Broken Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 02:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Antenna

So last night I turned on my radio and I hear a grinding/broken antenna type noise . And I went to look at it and I can pull the whole antenna up and push it back down so I am guessing its pretty much garbage. So now I am looking around on how to fix it or what my options are. I really like those stubbie antennas but was not sure how I would install it. I have the tall power antenna and I was wondering do I have to remove the old motor and all the other stuff down there or do i just buy the new antenna and screw it on or what.

I like this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-02...Q5fAccessories

So I am just curious what would I have to remove or do to make that antenna work?

Thanks
Old 05-11-2011, 02:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the metal mast is intact and the inner flexible tubing that pushes it up is what broke, you can get replacement parts for them at stores like autozone.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:49 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

If you can move the antenna by hand, then its hosed and there is a broken plastic strip wound up in the motor. (You'll have to take the motor apart to fix it.)
Old 05-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so what would I have to do to install that stubbie antenna?
Old 05-12-2011, 01:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can get a new mast on ebay for ~ $23 shipped. i just did this to my car. i had to open the motor up (you gotta break it apart, we did this to mine a few summers back to remove the original masts gear that was in there when i bought the car in 04)

anyway you break it open then pull off the plastic resouvuar that holds the wound up gear, you gotta remove any broken gear thats in there or the new mast won't go all the way down.