Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How to install...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 06:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to install...

Ok, I am hoping someone could give detailed instructions, and maybe some pics, on installing an aftermarket deck in my f-body. I went to an instal place today and they said I needed a harness, relays, switches, etc, and all this SH*T cost more than the damn stereo! So I am under the impression that they were just jackin me around to try to get more $$ out of me. Or are they right? For those of you who have aftermarket decks, is it that much trouble to ditch the stock deck? Let me know.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Do you have a Monsoon system in your car?
Old 02-23-2004, 06:37 PM
TECH Regular

yes I do
Old 02-23-2004, 06:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Well if your installing a just an aftermarket radio you are going to need a harness $15, dash kit $15, antenna adaptor $10, and line level adaptor $30 to $40. If you have never installed a aftermarket radio I dont think you should be messing with a car with a Monsoon system. How much did they say for a total it would cost?
Old 02-23-2004, 06:42 PM
TECH Regular

Approx. $200 parts and labor, + $169 for the stereo.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 02blackZ
Approx. $200 parts and labor, + $169 for the stereo.
They are jacking up the price on install a bit. I usually charged about $175 but you have to understand $165 is a cheap CD player. So install is gonna cost you pretty close to how much you payed for it.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:50 PM
TECH Regular

so your suggesting I shouldn't attempt the install myself? I am the type of person who loves to do things that others tell me I can't do. Surely there are directions I can follow. I refuse to dish out $$ for labor when I can do the labor for nothing.
Thanks maddboost!
Old 02-23-2004, 06:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Cant hurt to try. Just Ive had so many people come back and have me fix their install screw ups. Most of the time I have to charge them alittle more because its extra work to fix their screw ups. Just go and buy the parts if it doesnt work you can always bring it back and have them do it or another shop do it.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:57 PM
TECH Regular

ya, I want to try, but not without any directions. Do you have any suggestions on where I can go to get some. I tried doing a search on Google and Yahoo, I also tried installuniversity.com, but nothing was found.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

what do you need the line level conveter for??? just get the harness, the kit and the antenna adapter, use the amp in the deck, and screw the monsoon, it should only take you about 15 minutes to change the radio in a camaro
Old 02-24-2004, 08:48 AM
TECH Regular

I feel the same way jimmy! But you know these installers, their mark up on equipment and labor is outragous! So does anyone else have any thoughts or a way to get a step by step install process?
Old 02-24-2004, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02blackZ
I feel the same way jimmy! But you know these installers, their mark up on equipment and labor is outragous! So does anyone else have any thoughts or a way to get a step by step install process?
I am MECP certified, most car audio equipment has a 50% GM (gross margin) i know of the mark ups, but still 200 for a deck install is outrageous
Old 02-24-2004, 10:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by jimmy 2 Times
I am MECP certified, most car audio equipment has a 50% GM (gross margin) i know of the mark ups, but still 200 for a deck install is outrageous
MECP certification is a joke. While I am certified in it I do know a bunch of crappy installers who are certified and a few great ones who dont even bother with it. They let their work speak for them. So be wary of anyone who boasts being MECP certified.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YOU DON'T NEED ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE WIRING HARNESS, AND ANTENNA ADAPTER FOR A DECK IN A F-CAR.

a mounting kit is needed if the deck is not din 1/2.

no relays, no line level adapters are needed.... cost $7 for antenna adapter, and $7 for the harness, if bought at walmart type store, $14.99 and $10 if bought at best buy.

I put a deck in my car, in 2 minutes, took out of old bonneville, and threw it in the f-car. Din 1/2 makes it easier to mount, but other than that, should be a $50 install MAX.

Ryan.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:56 PM
Teching In

Well 02blackZ, to install a deck, you pop off the trim. It should come off real easy with a flat head screw driver wrapped in cloth to protect the dash. Take off the screws holding the stock deck in and pull out said deck. Next, you take a wire harness for our cars, and follow the diagram that tells you what wire is for what and connect them to wires from the new deck. The other end should clip right into the stock wire harness. Next, install the dash kit for our cars according to the instructions included with the kit. Install the little cage from the aftermarket deck and fold the tabs so it stays in. And finally, connect the wires to the back of the deck, and put it in.

I typed this stuff in real quick so if I forgot something, feel free to add it in.

Also, there are some deals (like buying a deck over $200 or something like that) and a place like Best Buy or Circuit City will install it for free. I got one of mine done like that. The big plus about it is that they have a lifetime warranty on their installation.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Follow what TransAm said. It's easy as cake. I just installed a new deck in my Camaro a few days with no prior experience, and as like 4 am with no light to help me. You will need a wiring harness, dash kit, and antenna converter. Your stereo should have come with a wiring diagram, and the metra wiring harness will explain what each color on the harness is for. All the colors should match between the stereo and harness, but double check. Crimp or soder the wires together. You might not need all the wires. My deck doesn't have illumination or dimmer option, so I had 2 extra wires on the wiring harness which I just taped off with electrical tape.

So now you should have a wiring harness that at 1 end will plug into the stock wiring harness, and the other end will plug into your deck. Pull off the trim around your radio and heater controls. You should be able to just pull it off with a little force. I suggest disconnecting the wires for fog lights and traction control if you have those options. There are only 2 hex nuts holding the stock radio in place, remove those and pull out the stock deck. You'll need to unplug the antenna connector, stock wiring harness, and steering wheel controls from the back of the stock deck. I didn't reuse the steering wheel controls so I just tucked that harness down out of the way.

Now take the cage for your new deck and place it in the dask kit and turn up the tabs so the cage doesn't move in the dash kit. I recommend you then put your deck in the cage. I found it easier to install it all at one time, the deck should lock into place in the cage. Look back inside the dash where the stock radio was, and there is a little mount. Your new deck should have come with a screw and possibly a rubber bushing which mounts into this. The stock radio mount seems to be offset to the left, and my aftermarket radio was centered, so they didn't line up, so I could reuse it. Plus, it seems as if aftermarket radios are a little deeper than the stock one. So you might possibly need to remove the mount. My radio would not go in far enough because it was hanging up on this mount. I couldn't find my dremel to grind it off, so I took wire cutters to the plastic and just chipped away until it was gone.

Now place the antenna adapter into the antenna port on the aftermarket radio, plug the antenna wire into that one, plug the wiring harness into the one that was plugged into your stock radio, slide the radio into place so the mounting kit holes line up, and screw back in the 2 hex nuts. Now replace the trim you took off and you're done.

Absolutely nothing complicated about this. And to think a shop would charge me $50 to do this, no way. Should take you maybe 15 minutes once you have the aftermarket wiring harness all wired up. Send me a PM if you need any help more explanation.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:27 PM
TECH Regular

GREAT! Thanks for the info guys, I am going to try to do this tomorrow! Bought the Alpine CDA-7998 today, next I have to order the PAC SWI-X, is that hard to install?