View Full Version : Learning to weld in Calgary?

wave1957
05-12-2011, 10:23 PM
So, my '70 Impala has a blown LQ9 (that was the fun part!), now it needs quarter panels... So I need to learn to weld...
Anybody can recommend a place in Calgary to learn "autobody welding for the hobbyist"?
Thanks!

SprotoX
05-15-2011, 02:43 AM
SAIT offers a few different welding courses for beginners:
http://sait.ca/pages/cometosait/continuingeducation/welding/weldinggeneral.shtml

Mereniuk
05-31-2011, 02:39 PM
Go to Canadian Tire and buy a Lincoln Electric MIG PAK and a shit load of scrap metal and go to town! practice building little things. They can be used as a flux core or a MIG. I use mine just as a Flux core and with some practice your welds can be awesome. Thats what i did.. works great for me!:nod:

FordHater
06-05-2011, 12:39 AM
Go to Canadian Tire and buy a Lincoln Electric MIG PAK and a shit load of scrap metal and go to town! practice building little things. They can be used as a flux core or a MIG. I use mine just as a Flux core and with some practice your welds can be awesome. Thats what i did.. works great for me!:nod:

x 2 on this one. I taught myself as well with a little Lincoln MIG about half a year ago, it works great for sheet metal! I'm currently restoring a '72 Nova and have put in a new floor/trunk pan and next is the rear quarters. Trial and error works great for welding, at least it did for me. The nice thing about working with metal is that no matter how badly you screw it up, it can always be fixed!
Oh and there's a TON of YouTube videos that have really good tips/pointers on welding for beginners.

Good luck!