Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Synchromesh. Beating a dead horse

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 07:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Synchromesh. Beating a dead horse

I know this topic has been discussed 1 million times on this forum, but i thought i would throw out my $.02.

My car has always shifted like garbage. It shifted like crap stock, so i swapped out the shifter for a Pro5.0, and the hydraulics for a Tick master, brand new GM slave, and a brand new Monster stage 3 clutch. Still shifted like crap. I've always used Valvoline Dex III/IV, which is supposed to be compatible for our transmission per Tremec.

Recently I switched to Pennzoil Synchromesh. While the car still doesn't shift as well as some cars I've driven, it was definitely an improvement. Also, it has lessened some of the gear whine that my car has been making for the last 2 years.

Most likely, my car would benefit from a rebuild of the synchronizer units and possibly gears, that just isnt in the budget right now. But 4 quarts @ $7 apiece was, and its at least made a definite improvement in shifting and overall tranny performance.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im glad that work for you, myself im stick with mobil 1 atf ^^
Old 05-13-2011, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll say this, in a trans with synchro problems, no reason NOT to experiment. If it gets you some more miles great, if not, time for boxes of parts anyway!
Old 05-14-2011, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I experimented with a few different fluids, the atf's all made no difference. Then tried the Pennzoil Synchromesh, I think it made things a little smoother, then tried Royal Purple Syncromax, that also made a little improvement, have stuck with that until now. (Can't recall if the RP was any better than the Pennzoil.)

Quick Reply: Synchromesh. Beating a dead horse