Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

New Valve Covers and Coil Relocation

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 02:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Valve Covers and Coil Relocation

Here's my latest little project. It required fabricating coil relocation brackets and crimping my own spark plug wires:

Full write up here:
http://www.gastiresoil.com/showthread.php?t=2492

Attached Thumbnails New Valve Covers and Coil Relocation-valvecovers_1.jpg   New Valve Covers and Coil Relocation-valvecovers_2.jpg  

Last edited by Robofuzz; 05-13-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

They look great.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:51 PM
12 Second Club

Very nice looking man. Something very different from the rest.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by impulsegoat
Very nice looking man. Something very different from the rest.
Thanks! That's exactly what I was trying to achieve.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:17 PM
Staging Lane

ive been thinking about doing that for a long time...... thank you for showing me its a great idea..... the money for something non functional has been holdinjg me back tho
Old 05-14-2011, 12:41 AM
TECH Regular

that looks amazing!! might have to do this mod myself!
Old 05-14-2011, 04:38 PM
10 Second Club

Looks really nice
Old 05-14-2011, 06:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

OK - here's a few pictures after I rerouted some wiring, covered the injector harnesses in factory-style wire loom, and a quickie detail:

Attached Thumbnails New Valve Covers and Coil Relocation-motor-1.jpg   New Valve Covers and Coil Relocation-motor-2.jpg   New Valve Covers and Coil Relocation-motor-3.jpg   New Valve Covers and Coil Relocation-motor-4.jpg   New Valve Covers and Coil Relocation-motor-5.jpg  

New Valve Covers and Coil Relocation-motor-6.jpg   New Valve Covers and Coil Relocation-motor-7.jpg   New Valve Covers and Coil Relocation-motor-8.jpg  

Last edited by Robofuzz; 05-15-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:01 AM
On The Tree

Eventhough im not into the pontiac stuff for our cars, i still think this turned out very nice and you did a great job.

Out of curiosity, not to sound like some nerd questioning the way you did the modification, lol.. did you ever look into pulling the loom and tape off the factory coil harness plug (harness side) and pulling it back through the harness to allow the plug to be relocated? I was thinking about moving mine to the firewall and was unsure if there were wire taps or spliced connections inside there, i figured prolly not, but you never know.

And how long are those plug wire do it yourself kits? Are those wires fairly long, ya think? Like i wonder if i could run all 8 wires to the firewall? You had success making the wires i see though, did you use the supplied wire splice setup, or use another tool? Sometimes ive heard if you have a certain type of electricians crimping tools the wires can be much easier to crimp. Who knows.

Sorry for all of the questions, just figured perhaps it was fresh on your brain, and id shoot ya some props for the patience and cleaner look.

That bmr brace looks nice too. Makes me really want to get one of those.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

Where did you find those valve covers? Looks great man I've wanted to give mine the SBC look since I got it.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RX666
Out of curiosity, not to sound like some nerd questioning the way you did the modification, lol.. did you ever look into pulling the loom and tape off the factory coil harness plug (harness side) and pulling it back through the harness to allow the plug to be relocated? I was thinking about moving mine to the firewall and was unsure if there were wire taps or spliced connections inside there, i figured prolly not, but you never know.
You could probably untape and adjust the wiring harness a little more than I did and maybe get enough slack for a firewall installation. I quickly determined that it was going to be a major PITA to do unwrap/untape it and the harness would never reach where I was going to mount the coils anyway. The Painless harness extensions are really the perfect length for where I mounted everything.

Oh and good luck with installing them on the firewall. I looked at several mounting options (firewall, back of the heads, frame rails) and what I did was (IMHO) the best option.

And how long are those plug wire do it yourself kits? Are those wires fairly long, ya think? Like i wonder if i could run all 8 wires to the firewall? You had success making the wires i see though, did you use the supplied wire splice setup, or use another tool? Sometimes ive heard if you have a certain type of electricians crimping tools the wires can be much easier to crimp. Who knows.
I got the generic MSD set for LS motors. It is basically an LT1 kit (for use with a distributor) but with 8 LS coil boots and crimp connectors thrown in the box. The wires are varying lengths like you'd need for a small block Chevy. I had to cut them to length, crimp on the coil connector and thread on the coil boots. I bought a specialized spark plug wire tool off of Amazon. It has a wire stripper and the proper crimper die included. The cool thing about the tool is that I can just buy additional dies for use with WeatherPak connectors, etc. I think the tool was like $30.

If I were to do it again, I would buy a roll of MSD wire and the proper number of spark plug and coil connectors and boots. That would probably save about $50 on the spark plug wires.

Last edited by Robofuzz; 06-27-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Pillion88
Where did you find those valve covers? Looks great man I've wanted to give mine the SBC look since I got it.
They are GM Performance Parts valve covers. You can buy them at anyplace that sells GM Performance Parts. Several of the sponsors on here sell them.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:49 PM
FormerVendor

looks good
Old 06-27-2011, 06:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks nice. Now do something with that urine bottle for the power steering
Old 07-08-2011, 12:30 AM
On The Tree

yea youre right on the firewall.. I am pretty much focked once i have a 4 inch downpipe going down the passenger side, and now that i have my regulator, catch cans, and fuel lines on the other side.

Either way, thanks for the advice! Back to the drawing board.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by svede1212
ive got the same issue.. im ordering that pwr sheet metal one as soon as i can find out where i can get it from, if not, ill just make my own.

(i am in process of installing a lot of stuff, hence why there are no hoses or brackets on the breather and catch can tanks.)Just best pic i had of my urine bottle. Those things are a ******* eye sore for sure. Right there in your face also.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

it looks great. I dont even want to know how much that cost you...
Old 07-08-2011, 01:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

ive got the same issue.. im ordering that pwr sheet metal one as soon as i can find out where i can get it from, if not, ill just make my own.

(i am in process of installing a lot of stuff, hence why there are no hoses or brackets on the breather and catch can tanks.)Just best pic i had of my urine bottle. Those things are a ******* eye sore for sure. Right there in your face also.
Hey what OTR intake is that?
Old 07-08-2011, 01:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

What would you suggest?
Old 07-08-2011, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There's a shroud and billet cap you can get for the Power Steering reservoir.
I just did mine and am very happy with it. I have some spare ones also.

Quick Reply: New Valve Covers and Coil Relocation