Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Issue installing pinion

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 09:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Issue installing pinion

I have a set of Motive performanc gears. Got the old pinion out, removed old bearings, installed new bearing shells in casing. Placed shim on pinion on shaft under bearing just like the old one. Slid on crush bearing. Cleaned up old yoke, greesed it.
I put nut on the end and used impact gun, went for some time before it starting moving. Undone the nut to inserted washer under nut, then tightened again. I think its on as far as it goes, but I feel a little play, its moves only 1mm or 2mm, about 0.060 inch. Have I missed something, or perhaps it need more time on the impact gun.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crush sleeves are really hard to compress. I used a 10 foot breaker bar when I did my axle. Just get a breaker bar on it and do it bit by bit while you measure preload.

-Will
Old 05-14-2011, 03:48 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the info, I've taken it apart again, the crush sleeve is about 0.060inch bigger than the old one. So it appears it didn't crush with the impact gun. I have since found the impact batteries were getting low.

I do have a breaker bar. I will give that ago. How do you stop the pinion from spinning? I looked at wedging a spanner between the yoke attachement and the chassis but didn't like the stress it was putting on the yoke attachement. Mind you any stess I put on it cant be as much as the motor puts out I suppose.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:13 PM
11 Second Club

" wedging a spanner between the yoke attachement and the chassis " ok, get at it

I use a big chresant wrench
Johnny
Old 05-15-2011, 12:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Doing the crush sleeves under the car can be a huge pain in the ***. My impact will not crush them. I made a weird looking thing out of steel plate that fits over the pinion to hold it in place while I turn the pinion nut with a 24 inch breaker bar.....and they still can be a bitch
Old 05-15-2011, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

It was the darn crush sleeve giving me hassle. I put on my he-man outfit and gace it ago. The pinion is spot on now. So I started on the next part, inserting the diff, got the shims in both sides, a little stiff to get in, perhaps I used too many. the wipe pattern is great, pretty much spot on in the center. Bolted it all up, the wheels turn so nothing too stiff. Put in the oil, went to get the second bottle, and noticed something leaking under the car. Its too soon for it to be coming out of the drain plug. It wasn't. it was coming out aroung the pinion seal, its leaking around the shaft of the pinion. With all the other trouble I was having with the pinion, perhaps I damaged it. I have two seals spare, so will pop another in another day. Im was hoping to take the car out this evening, but cant now
Old 05-19-2011, 11:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

wow! what a pain,
Old 05-20-2011, 01:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedWS6 00
Placed shim on pinion on shaft under bearing just like the old one.
How did you determine what shim to use?

Al
Old 05-20-2011, 02:23 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Big Al
How did you determine what shim to use?

Al
Removed the old shim from the old bearing and reused it. I was a bit doubtful at first but read many guides that this was good to do.
Done the same with the shims at each end of the diff, checked the wipe pattern and all looked great.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:55 AM
On The Tree

Dont over fill it, it will leak from the pinion seal if you do.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:29 AM
TECH Resident

Well funny you should say that. I had half the amount of oil in there I should have and it leaked. I went to check the seal looked okay. Took it off and compared to the old one, it was way bigger. It was the one supplied in the Tremkin kit. I should have checked size before fitting. Luckily I had another i ordered in a long time ago, and this was a perfect fit. No leaks.
Havn't driven the car since beginning of Feb. Its my everyday car, most of the wait have been for parts. Still waiting on the axels which I'll have to change another day.
My battery is dead too, wont take a charge, so I've got another to fit. Driving on the way to work i noticed the clutch is slipping... arggh, one thing after another. lol. the joys of motoring eh?.... The car has been brilliant in the many years, and its not had an easy life.