Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

covering a sub box with fabric Q

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 04:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default covering a sub box with fabric Q

I finally had my JL sub show up, so now I know the size of hole to cut out of my custom sub box Im making. Now, I am curious about the fabric for the outside so it looks nice. Im going to cover the part that shows, but do you make the fabric stop at the hole, or do you pull it into the box?

So for a visual: Do I cut the hole in my board, lay the fabric over the whole piece of wood, and then take an exacto knife and just trace the hole? Or, do I cut the fabric over the hole like a pizza, and fold each piece into the subbox?

Sorry if this is a newb question, but I want to do it right.

Im trying to decide if I need to cut the hole a little bit bigger for the thickness of the fabric or not.

Also, with the fabric between the sub and the wood, is this going to create a big enough problem that the box now wont be a true "sealed" box?

Thanks everybody!
Old 05-14-2011, 06:45 PM
Teching In

either way will work, and most sub boxes have carpet between the sub and box and dont cause any sealing issues
Old 05-14-2011, 11:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

that is what I figured, but the JL sub actually has a seal on the sub where it mounts.. What good is the seal if it is getting sealed to carpet?! lol
Old 05-15-2011, 08:16 AM
Teching In

think of it this way, its obviously not an issue since JL puts carpet on their stealth enclosures so they dont think its a problem
Old 05-15-2011, 09:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

great point. I guess Ill stop worrying about it now.