Sponsored by:

E-Rod and CARB EO

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 07:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Rod and CARB EO

Not sure I can afford this but...

I just downloaded the LS3 E-Rod Executive Order D-126-30 and wonder how this works. If one installed an E-Rod do you still need to get a BAR referee approval or can you just get it smogged?

I'd really like to hear how E-Rod owners fared with CA smog.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:48 PM
Staging Lane

Anybody?

I'm warming up to this idea but need to know what I'm getting into with the CA smog requirements.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If I recall right. If your car is not exempt from Smog check (1976+), and is pre-ODBII), then you can use the E-Rod engine, but have to get your car re-Certiifed (BAR Referee).

And if you installed everything as required. Then they will use the CARB number and pass you. And from that point on, you car will have to pass smog imspection as outlined by the CARB Executive Order.

If you car is Exempt (pre 76') you do not need to get re-cert'd. You don't really need to use a E-Rod crate and Kit.

What are you planning to put it into ?
Old 05-16-2011, 02:20 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for your reply.

'87 Corvette

Are there any smog issues with replacing the 700r4 with an 4l60e? The EROD EO only covers the engine & accompanying components (cats, ECU, wire harness, etc.)
Old 05-16-2011, 05:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't recall anything about having to use your current transmissin, i would suggest going to a 4L60E/65E/80E anyway.. but you do have to buy a seperate controller.

I think they make different EROD kits now. some are auto and some are manual setups..? along with 5.3L and 7.0L now or coming.

If you have time and a complete donner.. you can go that route by doing a conversion from the donner and then go to referee and get it re-cert.... as the donner car.

I've got a 88 C4 also. I'll be watching..
Old 05-16-2011, 07:05 PM
Staging Lane

The LS3 is the only EROD showing up on the GMPP web site and is the only one I've found an EO for. The EO covers both the auto and manual transmission versions of the LS3.

http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/de...o/D-126-30.pdf

Correction...I just visited the GM performance web site and they now list several more EROD engines, as mentioned above, including the 5.3 and LS7.

Last edited by 3D87C4; 05-16-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:57 AM
Staging Lane

Bump...

I'd really like to hear from someone with the EROD.

I just got a quote I like & am likely to greenlight this project in the next few days.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:56 PM
zgp
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 3D87C4
Bump...

I'd really like to hear from someone with the EROD.

I just got a quote I like & am likely to greenlight this project in the next few days.
What info do you need?
Old 06-01-2011, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

I'd like to know how it went & any suggestions you might have for preparing for the inspection.

For example:
What was checked?
Were there any surprises?
Any suggestions for preparing for the inspection?
Was further work needed & how was that checked?
Was the EROD kit & E.O. sufficient or were more changes needed to satisfy the ref?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:22 AM
On The Tree

I'm using an E-Rod on a 70 Monte so I can't really help you there as far as CA emissions. As long as you use everything the E-Rod requires, you should be fine. This means you have to use the the cats, the evap cannister, the LS controller the E-ROD came with, the recommended transmission and controller (if using auto). Your factory gauges won't work with this set up, so you'll have to use aftermarket gauges. Mine is still a work in progress, but I'm more than halfway there.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1975delta88
I'm using an E-Rod on a 70 Monte ... still a work in progress, but I'm more than halfway there.
Thanks. I've been off to the gold country taking fiddle lessons so it took a while to reply. I looked over your build thread but you haven't posted in a while. How's it going?
Old 09-16-2011, 04:14 PM
Teching In

Thread Hijack

I want to swap an E-Rod into a 1979 Jeep CJ. I am looking for someone highly qualified to perform the conversion. I have been searching for about 4 months with minimal results. Ideally the shop/person would have successfully completed about 10 E-Rod conversions and successfully registered the converted vehicle.

I am looking for someone located in California, Nevada or Arizona.

I have discussed the swap with a northern California shop that have some E-Rod experience, but they are concerned about the placement of the catalytic coverters on my vehicle and the ability to get if through ref for CARB.

Is there specific criteria regarding the placement/location dimensions that the catalytic converters have to be from the exhaust manifolds?

It seems that the E-Rod conversion is not as popular as I had hoped, as I can find people only with limited/no experience. Is the cost too high or do most people do it theirselves in their home garage? Some shops that supposedly specialize in LS motors didn't even know what an E-Rod was - very dissappointing.

I live in Nevada - however Nevada's rules seem even more restrictive than California (they may not be more restrictive but they are poorly written and confusing, I don't want the brain damage of dealing with Nevada's DMV imbeciles - each Nevada DMV represeantative has given me a different answer). So I am planning to register the Jeep in California as there seems to be much less confussion than in Nevada. I know it is hard to believe that someone wants to deal with CARB.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

Visiting the forum for the first time in a while & pleasantly surprised to see a hit/hijack on this thread.

I believe the CAT placement is fairly important for proper performance of the O2 sensors so do triple check this.

The planning on my swap continues. The shop I'm working with is assisting another shop's EROD swap and learning a lot in the process. I had hoped to get this done this summer but it's not a turn-key swap and, since I'm not doing the work myself, I have to let the planning progress at their pace.

I'll PM some more info.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sol_searcher
It seems that the E-Rod conversion is not as popular as I had hoped, as I can find people only with limited/no experience. Is the cost too high or do most people do it theirselves in their home garage?
No doubt the E-Rod is scarce, and no doubt it is because of the extreme price. I'd buy it...at 1/3 the current price. Those who do get it surely have NO funds left over to pay for installation.
As for Nevada vs California, I'm sure you could get away with no smog controls ever if you register it up in Wendover, or any other equally remote and tiny town in Nevada. That doesn't make it technically legal, but most enthusiasts get by.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

When I was talking to the GM Rep's at a few show, the Good Guys show and in Reno at Hot August Nights.. I got the impression that the kit was 1st intended to be for new build and Kit cars to get them passed and smogged. And 2nd to be retro'ing pre ODBII cars.

The Kit has to be used as designed and if done so.. there is no reason for it to fail the Re-Cert. Yes the posistion of the Cat is a critical problem as the kit was tested as is. The Cert test would required the visual test inspection, to make sure it is as spec'd out and installed per the instructins by GM. I could only assume that maybe minor adjustments, if done professionally would pass (?), depending on who is doing the test and what kind of day he is having.

I would not think per the other states DMV's that Nevada would be any harder to pass that California..as most other state base there DMV smog law on both the Fed and California C.A.R.B documentation and laws.

Just my 2 cents.

BC
Old 09-18-2011, 06:00 PM
Staging Lane

FWIW the GMPP web site lists the following prices:

19244805 LS3 E-ROD $7,575.00 to $11,250.00

19244097 LS3 $7,570.00

You can pay less for a used engine, but that's what you get. Of course with a donor swap you can harvest a lot of components you'll have to buy with the EROD, so yeah this isn't the cheap way to go.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:00 AM
On The Tree

Bringing up an old thread. Now that there are more E-Rod installs that I've read from various magazines, the answer to your question is yes, you still need to go to a referee. As long as you used everything in the kit and removed the old emission system (exhaust, cats, etc), your car should pass smog. The problem i had interpreting was the cats that the kit came with. The cats are 10 Camaro cats and when installed in my Monte, they hang too low. I saw a 280Z e-rod on of one the websites and they had modified the cats pipes for proper fitment into that car. As long as the o2 sensors are installed pre and post the 1st catalytic converter, you should be fine. You are only altering the shape of the pipes on the cats and not altering the cats or o2 sensor placement. When I get my car started after i get a replacement ecu, I'll have to take my car in to the custom exhaust shop to have the cats modified for proper fitment. Although I won't have to get my car smogged, because the E-rod is going in a 70 Monte Carlo
Old 03-28-2012, 11:25 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for your reply.

It does appear there's some wiggle room in the exhaust configuration as long as the cats and o2 sensors are configured properly and within the proper distance.

The EROD comes with two different sets of exhaust manifolds. The engine in the box has Corvette manifolds on it, but a second set of Camaro manifolds are provided and these are the ones the instructions say to use. But...the instructions also say "similar LS Engine style Exhaust Manifolds" can be used, so there's some flexibility there. I assume (hope?) the same applies to fitment of the cats & exhaust routing.

My swap has progressed to the point the engine is about to be mounted & we'll finally learn how everything fits.

Quick Reply: E-Rod and CARB EO