Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving TH400 on the street with RMVB. Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 09:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving TH400 on the street with RMVB. Questions...

Having issues with the 34 element upgraded sprag. I have fried one already and now have a new one in my car but i think this one is acting up too? The builder tells me that they arent really meant to be driven on the street. And my car has made more power than ever before. so maybe thats why its built to handle over 900rwhp...... doesnt make much sense to me. anyone else have the same issue with Driving Th400 on the street?
Old 05-16-2011, 09:30 PM
Banned

Have your builder contact me,there are a few solutions and I will point him in the right direction.631 218 1048 ask for Chris.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:38 PM
Banned

hahahaha what am i suppose to tell him pm me who this is. he apparently has been building transmissions for 35 years
Old 05-16-2011, 09:39 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

The RMVB doesn't provide engine braking, so the end user needs to be aware that their driving habits may need changing.
When in 2nd gear you don't want to let off (decel) and then stab the throttle again. This is brutal on the sprag in a RMVB application.

There is no 1-2 accumulator either, which can add shock loads way beyond what GM designed into the TH400. The plate design has a large effect on sprag life.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:41 PM
Banned

i was shifting before the rev limiter i pulled for 2nd at about 6k several times on the pull now it does the same thing again as before. when normal driving it WILL not go to 2nd even under WOT. How am i breaking these SPRAGS?S?S??S
Old 05-16-2011, 10:48 PM
Banned

jake im gonna give you a call tomorrow morning. im right down the road from you. im tired of ******* with mike trickshift this is the 2nd th400 hes built i dont have time for his bullshit

EDIT: IT WASNT MIKES FAULT WE CHECKED THE CONVERTER RUN OFF AND IT WAS WAY OFF. FTI SENT ME A BAD ONE FROM THE BEGINNING. THANKS TO MIKE I HAVE ZERO ISSUES, AND IT WAS ALL BECAUSE MY CONVERTER RUN OFF

Last edited by Busy Mopper; 07-19-2011 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive mine on the street. I've fried clutches and broke case lugs. No sprag problems though.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TurboAv
I drive mine on the street. I've fried clutches and broke case lugs. No sprag problems though.
Some basic knowledge and respect for things mechanical on the part of the driver and it will live a long life.A valve body without super high line pressure,a mechanical means of keeping the sprag parrallell to the centerline of the transmission ,a full set of springs sitting on top of the 2nd piston,and a shock absorber engineered into the 2nd clutch pack are also good ideas as well.Im using a press in sun gear tube on my 400s and 4l80es and can finally get killer durability out of a 34 elemnt sprag with fixed line in a hard hitting streeter up to and beyond 1000hp.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:03 PM

Default Wow, and let's talk some truth now...

Originally Posted by Busy Mopper
jake im gonna give you a call tomorrow morning. im right down the road from you. im tired of ******* with mike trickshift this is the 2nd th400 hes built i dont have time for his bullshit
Hey Busy Flopper,

You failed to mention the fact that your first repair after the overhaul you only paid for parts AND most importantly that the second time Mike completely overhauled the trans again for free. But...

The interesting part is you don't make any mention to the FACT that your torque converter had .040" runout on the pto dowel. Why is it you didn't bring that up and talk about how your engine/transmission had a vibration? Instead of letting him fix it right, you decided to go ahead and run it until it broke again. Mike offered to fix your converter, but you were too concerned with slapping your car back together instead of doing it right. How is this his fault? Not sure if it's truely a blessing you are "tired of ******* with mike trickshift" and "his bullshit".

Oh, and Mike would like for you to call him so you and he can discuss this B.S. you've posted. Unless you're not up to the task of explaining why you said what you did directly to him.

35 plus years of building performance automatics and you think your opinion holds any water to his abilities. Get a life bud.

Sparktrician
Old 07-19-2011, 11:04 PM
Banned

Easy bro, I didnt update this thread after mike took complete care of me. Once mike told me about this runoff issue we sent it to fti and it got fixed (check the dates) for free. Mike is the only reason the car is driving fine now. Yes, before hand before i was pissed because we couldnt figure the problem out.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:06 PM
Banned

I edited the correct info on the thread

Quick Reply: Driving TH400 on the street with RMVB. Questions...