General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Water Pump Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 11:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Pump Gaskets

My Fel Pro set came with paper gasket and alum/rubber gasket for the water pump.

The original water pump had paper and when I replaced it it came with paper.

I would use the alum but its a bit thicker and not sure if it will throw off the pulleys alignment or anything.

What ya'll think?

Thanks
Old 05-17-2011, 11:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Paper is throw away, metal is reusable. I have used both with no issues.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:06 PM
Teching In

When i took off my original pump, it had metal/oring setup from the factory..
Replacement pump had paper ones with it, I went to Autozone and got the Metal/oring gaskets and used those..
Old 05-17-2011, 01:29 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just put on a new water pump a few weeks ago, on my 98 the stock water pump had the cheap paper gaskets on it, scrapped them off the block and installed the metal/rubber gaskets that came with the new pump...i would recommend the new style metal/rubber gaskets, much nicer and better sealing w.o rtv. it will move the pump out further but very minimal. the width of the pulley allows you to be able to move the pump out further and not mess up pulley alignment. because it is not a ribbed pulley, but a smooth pulley that the back of the belt rides on, it doesnt matter where the belt rides. the belt will ride further back on the pulley but it will still be aligned with the rest of the pulleys...kind of sounds confusing but do you get what im saying?
Old 05-17-2011, 10:51 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Exactly what ^ he said. I just put a new water pump on a few weeks ago, too. Metal / o-ringed gaskets and NO rtv to mess with. No leaks.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bp m1009
just put on a new water pump a few weeks ago, on my 98 the stock water pump had the cheap paper gaskets on it, scrapped them off the block and installed the metal/rubber gaskets that came with the new pump...i would recommend the new style metal/rubber gaskets, much nicer and better sealing w.o rtv. it will move the pump out further but very minimal. the width of the pulley allows you to be able to move the pump out further and not mess up pulley alignment. because it is not a ribbed pulley, but a smooth pulley that the back of the belt rides on, it doesnt matter where the belt rides. the belt will ride further back on the pulley but it will still be aligned with the rest of the pulleys...kind of sounds confusing but do you get what im saying?

Yea wasn't to concerned with the water pump pulley but the tensioner pulley since it is ribbed and thought that the rear edge of belt will rub against the back side of the pulley.

I did install it with the metal gaskets but engine still out of truck so can't tell what its going to do.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:16 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your not moving the tensioner pulley so that isnt going to effect anything...itll be fine

Quick Reply: Water Pump Gaskets