Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Problem With my Alpine SPS-170A 6 1/2's

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 09:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem With my Alpine SPS-170A 6 1/2's

Well I got my friend to install my Alpine SPS-170A 6 1/2's , and they pop like crazy. Knowing this is a problem, I have the sound faded to the back so I don't mess them up until I get it fixed, but what is the problem. My head is a Pioneer DEH-P77DH, and I bought the speaker pair at Circuit City, so if I have any problems I can take them back.

Is this a problem you have heard of, or is it bad speakers(I highly doubt). I had a Monsoon Tape player, then got the Pioneer CD put in, and a steering wheel control adaptor. I blew out the two door speakers, and replaced them with these, and got this problem. Are all four wires connected to the speaker, or just two? WHen we compaired it with the stock speaker, the Alpines seem to be set up quite differently, what it the answer boys and gals, can you help me? please
Old 02-24-2004, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

i can't say further until you describe precisely how you installed them. read my thread at the top of this forum and make sure you installed them this way. if you did it any other way, you may have already blown them. if you blew them, take them back to circuit city immediately and maybe they'll give you new ones.
Old 02-25-2004, 06:59 AM
11 Second Club

he has both wires connected to the speaker, 2+ and 2- connected to the back of the speaker using their wires. As soon as I turned them on the sounded quiet, so I puty them to 6-8 Vol and then poped like bitches!!! He used your instructions to install them, but I had a feeling he didn't do it right when he didn't come with wire strippers.

They don't sound blown, they sound like they are wired wrong, and I have had a few speakers wired wrong in my house, and in my friends cars, and this is the same sound. Not a vibrating ripping sound, something distinct with a blown speaker, much like the ones I had in before, the stocks were blown, and these make a different sound.

That is how they are wired, and that is all I know. I don't see how a speaker taken to only 6 out of 40 could blow on a stock amp.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:01 PM
TECH Veteran

He might have grounded out the speaker while he was installing it and blown the speaker. I would check your connections to make sure you dont have a lose one thats causing arcing. If not take them back and have them exchanged.
Old 02-27-2004, 06:32 AM
11 Second Club

Explain exactly what that means, I know nothing about speakers.