Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Anyone run a full floater rear?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 02:25 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone run a full floater rear?

They don't seem to be that much more expensive. For a bare housing there only $10 more from a certain online store... Just seems like a better design for a rear end, axle doesn't have to deal with the vehicles weight and acceleration forces. Plus as I've read, the wheel/brakes don't slide in and out while cornering hard which makes braking more predictable (no pad push back). Can take axles out with wheels still on car I think. Also can break an axle and the wheels don't fall off lol. If your a serious corner carver I know they can actually add permanent camber and toe to the rear. Prob not a good idea for a daily driver though.

Only issues I can think of is stock parking brake doesn't look like it would work, and guessing ABS rings wont fit. I think the ABS rings could be fitted with some modification, but I'm not seeing how a stock style parking brake could be added.

I'm thinking Mustang rear calipers might possibly work, they use an integrated parking brake.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would use LT1 rear brakes. I've wondered the same thing in the past.. Trophy truck 9" rears are awesome, you can yank out the 40 spline axles in a few minutes.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:26 AM
Launching!

O nice, didn't know LT1 calipers had the parking brake also. That would make it a ton easier, could use LT1 cables as well if needed.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:21 AM
Restricted User

I still haven't found out a negative issue with having no parking/emergency brake.

There are some benefits, no removing anything but the center cap to pull an axle to change the diff, or to just render the car immovable under it's own power, and the addition of putting camber to the ends, which after like 15k miles you get a slight wear in on the tire, but you only put a .2 degree, and expense last MW floater wasn't a FEW dollars more, unless someone else is doing it, a few dollars more is a mistake.

Last edited by Supers; 05-21-2011 at 07:27 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:19 AM

Sorry to bring back the dead thread, but I was also wondering the same thing? 9" Floaters for circle track cars are cheap, roughly a grand brand new minus the gear assembly.

*also, anyone know anything about the Baer full floater kit?

Last edited by Wicked-1; 02-10-2012 at 11:21 AM. Reason: addition
Old 02-14-2012, 02:39 PM

So is that a no? No input on this?
Old 02-14-2012, 11:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Wicked-1
Sorry to bring back the dead thread, but I was also wondering the same thing? 9" Floaters for circle track cars are cheap, roughly a grand brand new minus the gear assembly.

*also, anyone know anything about the Baer full floater kit?
Post some photos and links if you have them? I've only noticed 8 lug full floating axles never a 5 lug!

Joe

Quick Reply: Anyone run a full floater rear?