New Engine Suggestion for 2002 Trans Am - Blew Mine Up Today

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 02:02 PM
msu
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Engine Suggestion for 2002 Trans Am - Blew Mine Up Today

I'm new to the forums.

I have a 2002 Black Pontiac Trans Am that I bought new off the dealer lot. Always kept it clean and never beat on it (except a few stints at 120+ mph).

I came to the net looking for answers to find out what happened to my baby today.

Long story short, I hit water, found out what Hydro-locking is after I found the piece of the block that contained my oil filter and the thread housing etc... in the road.

I am looking for recommendations on replacing the engine. I wouldn't mind a slight upgrade in power (I use it as a daily driver in the summer months here in Michigan).

I see some talks of a LQ9 engine and some others but I'm not able to understand if they are drop in replacements or minimum costs to modify them.

Any advice or suggestions as to what engine to replace it with for a reasonable cost?

Thank you in advance!
Old 05-19-2011, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by msu
I'm new to the forums.

I have a 2002 Black Pontiac Trans Am that I bought new off the dealer lot. Always kept it clean and never beat on it (except a few stints at 120+ mph).

I came to the net looking for answers to find out what happened to my baby today.

Long story short, I hit water, found out what Hydro-locking is after I found the piece of the block that contained my oil filter and the thread housing etc... in the road.

I am looking for recommendations on replacing the engine. I wouldn't mind a slight upgrade in power (I use it as a daily driver in the summer months here in Michigan).

I see some talks of a LQ9 engine and some others but I'm not able to understand if they are drop in replacements or minimum costs to modify them.

Any advice or suggestions as to what engine to replace it with for a reasonable cost?

Thank you in advance!
OEM/Used: http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/engines_5.aspx
OEM/Crate: http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/crateengines_5.aspx
Old 05-19-2011, 03:10 PM
msu
Teching In

Thanks but I already knew I could go with the same engine.

I'm wondering about an upgraded engine though.

From what I understand the 2002's came with LS6 intakes and possibly some other parts.

So, I am trying to understand if one of the other engines would work and just swap some of my parts onto that engine (the LQ9 for example)?

Then would I have to mod anything other than possibly a tuning (I'm trying to read into this but it's all chopped up)?

Or is there a good match that is prebuilt from somewhere other than the stock engine?
Old 05-19-2011, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by msu
Thanks but I already knew I could go with the same engine.

I'm wondering about an upgraded engine though.

From what I understand the 2002's came with LS6 intakes and possibly some other parts.

So, I am trying to understand if one of the other engines would work and just swap some of my parts onto that engine (the LQ9 for example)?

Then would I have to mod anything other than possibly a tuning (I'm trying to read into this but it's all chopped up)?

Or is there a good match that is prebuilt from somewhere other than the stock engine?
the LS1,2,6,7 should all go in no prob just have to tweak the ecu, the second link are new oem and new aftermarket engines
Old 05-19-2011, 03:36 PM
msu
Teching In

Originally Posted by evoxm9
the LS1,2,6,7 should all go in no prob just have to tweak the ecu, the second link are new oem and new aftermarket engines
Thanks!

So what about all the talk I am seeing about using a LQ9 with the LS6 intake for more horsepower?

Am I misunderstanding that?

Also, I see allot about mix and matching parts to get the performance of the LQ9 but with a different block (switching from iron to aluminum).

What would be the ultimate combination of block, intake, etc... to get the more horse power but keep the weight down?

I see you can build up the LS1 but it seems going with one of the others and mix and matching parts provides a really good option?

Sorry for so many questions... and thanks for all the help!
Old 05-19-2011, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by msu
Thanks!

So what about all the talk I am seeing about using a LQ9 with the LS6 intake for more horsepower?

Am I misunderstanding that?

Also, I see allot about mix and matching parts to get the performance of the LQ9 but with a different block (switching from iron to aluminum).

What would be the ultimate combination of block, intake, etc... to get the more horse power but keep the weight down?

I see you can build up the LS1 but it seems going with one of the others and mix and matching parts provides a really good option?

Sorry for so many questions... and thanks for all the help!
id start with a lsx block like these: http://www.summitracing.com/search/D...n/?Ns=Rank|Asc

it just comes down to how much you want to spend, with those block you can use any LS based parts
Old 05-26-2011, 10:56 AM
msu
Teching In

Question

The insurance is going to cover it!

I'm not sure of the amount yet but I'm looking for advice.

What is the best engine to get or build for around $8,000.00?

If you suggest a good stock one then please provide a link.

If you suggest a build then please provide the links to the parts because I am not able to devote the time to build it myself so I will have someone else build it for me (hence why I would need the links).

Thanks!
Old 05-26-2011, 01:38 PM

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MLL-BP37401CTF/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-19201327/
http://store.gmperformanceparts.com/...-19201327--%3E

the second and third link are the same thing the third on has more details

this setup is a little above 8g its 8.5g to 9g with with shipping but its the fastest way with less work. you could buy more parts to make link 1 work with a ls1 controller, buy i dont know all the parts that would be need to do that and ill presume the price would come out to be around the same if you wanted to use the ls1 controller.

link 1 LS3/376 $6995.00
link 2 LS3/376 controller $1121.95
estimated shipping to house in colo $199 fright and $12.99 handling

estimated total $8,328.90
Old 05-26-2011, 03:14 PM
msu
Teching In

Thanks!

I thought the LS3 wouldn't fit in though without modifications (based on your earlier post?).
Old 05-26-2011, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by msu
Thanks!

I thought the LS3 wouldn't fit in though without modifications (based on your earlier post?).
it will fit if i remember correctly the only diff in all the ls engines is the heads and boar with the exception of ls3 and ls9 have a ecu controlled fuel regulator. worse case scenario i can think of it that you possibly would have to trim the firewall and wheel wells but i really dont think you will have to. the ls list for my other post were ls motor that should work with a ls1 controller without needing to change parts on the engine so i left out ls3/376 and ls9.

any LS/LSX engine will fit in the same space any LS/LSX engine came out of

Last edited by evoxm9; 05-26-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Ultimate setup (within reasonable budget) would be an LS3 or LS3 derivative that has been modified to work with F-body computers/electronics (24x reluctor wheel, etc.).
Old 05-26-2011, 05:09 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZexGX
Ultimate setup (within reasonable budget) would be an LS3 or LS3 derivative that has been modified to work with F-body computers/electronics (24x reluctor wheel, etc.).
Or an LS3 with the adapter box/harness to work with the 24x computer, either way I think an LS3 would be the easiest most driveable way to get a bunch of reliable power with a warranty.

Me personally, I'd pick the parts and put an engine together (which is what I'm planning if my current motor ever gets hurt). Pick an alum block stroker (400+ inches), a cam that matches your driving style and powerband, heads to work in that same range and flow enough to meet your power goals, install, tune, and have fun driving something that you tailored to your specific application
Old 05-27-2011, 06:59 AM
msu
Teching In

Thanks Guys!

So, the links provided will get all the parts needed to run the LS3 in place of my LS1 then (24x reluctor wheel, etc...?)?

And the transmission is capable of handling the additional torque / horsepower?

What about the gear ratio in the rear axle? Would that need to be changed? (I drive mostly highway miles, about 120 a day x 5 days a week, but I do like to have the power on demand when I want to)

Sorry, you can tell I am new to this!

In looking at things the LS3 has the iron block versus the aluminum block correct?

Is there an option that would get me an aluminum block (so weight does not go up) and still get around the same horse power?

Is the piston slap still an issue with the newer LS engines? I know my LS1 had it and it was a bit annoying (sounded like spark knock all the damn time running premium - 10x worse if I would have run 87 through it).

Also, I'm not necessarily opposed to buying a block separate, different heads, cam, etc... to build a better engine if the price would be about the same. I would just get a engine shop to put it together for me. So, if you have any suggestions for that please let me know.

Sorry for all the questions (tranmission, engine, axle, etc...). I really do appreciate the help / advice guys!
Old 05-27-2011, 09:29 AM
Staging Lane

You also have to factor in the "someone else" building it part. Is it someone you know or a shop? How good are they? What's their standard rate? Will they understand what you want to do with your car? You can add another 2000-4000 to your bill if you're going to pay someone else to take your engine out, build your new one and transplant it correctly.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

before I suggest something.. i have some questions.

1. what is your end goal? aka what do you want out of this?
2. who is doing the work? you or a shop?
3. what is your experiance on cars overall? what is your willingness to learn?
4. what is the application of this car exactly? just a toy? a daily driver? has to drive 1000 mi trips to see family? or just has to make it to and from the cruise/dragstrip?
Old 05-27-2011, 01:23 PM
msu
Teching In

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
before I suggest something.. i have some questions.

1. what is your end goal? aka what do you want out of this?

I would like the car to have more horse power but still be a reasonable daily driver as I use it primarily to commute to work i nthe summer (120 miles a day). However, I want to be able to move fast if the need arises. Plus, I don't mind having some bragging rights / being a bit of a sleeper!

2. who is doing the work? you or a shop?

It depends. I have to get it in for an estimate as the insurance company is going to pay for it. They told me their adjusters know nothing about engines so just take it somewhere and they will just work with whatever shop I decide to work with. They said get an estimate and have them take a few pictures and they will just get it fixed if it's not totaled. So, depending on if the $$ amount is to high (to the point where they would want to total it) then I may do the work myself to avoid a "salvage" title.

3. what is your experiance on cars overall? what is your willingness to learn?

I spent many, many years working on cars with my father growing up. Swapping engines, transmissions, some body work, axles, tires (screw driver, rubber mallet and a rim), bearings, etc... I have never rebuilt a motor though. Although, I am highly detailed and very picky so with my background understanding of wrenching on things I could put one together with guidance. Time however is a big issue right now for me as I am in the middle of being my own general contractor building our dream hom. So, it's a cost / benefit ratio calculation for me. I don't know what the breaking point is because I don't know the benefit vs. cost side of it.

4. what is the application of this car exactly? just a toy? a daily driver? has to drive 1000 mi trips to see family? or just has to make it to and from the cruise/dragstrip?
I think I answered most of these above. I know I want to be able to drive it and I do plan to hand it down to my children some day (hence why I am actually really PO'd about this as I wanted it to be original). So, the drag strip is pretty much out from a "professional" perspective but I may take it one day just to get times on it if I do wind up with a worthy build. I would say 600 hp is likely to much to be affordable to drive. If I could keep around 18 to 20 mpg highway though and get 600 hp then I may consider it.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by msu
Thanks Guys!

So, the links provided will get all the parts needed to run the LS3 in place of my LS1 then (24x reluctor wheel, etc...?)?

And the transmission is capable of handling the additional torque / horsepower?

What about the gear ratio in the rear axle? Would that need to be changed? (I drive mostly highway miles, about 120 a day x 5 days a week, but I do like to have the power on demand when I want to)

Sorry, you can tell I am new to this!

In looking at things the LS3 has the iron block versus the aluminum block correct?

Is there an option that would get me an aluminum block (so weight does not go up) and still get around the same horse power?

Is the piston slap still an issue with the newer LS engines? I know my LS1 had it and it was a bit annoying (sounded like spark knock all the damn time running premium - 10x worse if I would have run 87 through it).

Also, I'm not necessarily opposed to buying a block separate, different heads, cam, etc... to build a better engine if the price would be about the same. I would just get a engine shop to put it together for me. So, if you have any suggestions for that please let me know.

Sorry for all the questions (tranmission, engine, axle, etc...). I really do appreciate the help / advice guys!
to build a aluminum block ls3 will cost more then 8g.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-19244549/
this is a aluminum block ls3 by GM Performance. it runs a 1000 more then the iron engine but it has 480HP vs 450HP in the iron block. and it comes straight from GM Builders, only one builder is better and thats Edelbrock in my opinion

as for LS3 piston slap not sure go test drive a new camaro they run the ls3.

for the gear ratios if you liked the way it performed befor you LS1 left you, the dont mess with them

and keeping the MPG UP when you raise you HP is rare and hard to do
Old 05-27-2011, 01:30 PM
msu
Teching In

Originally Posted by evoxm9
to build a aluminum block ls3 will cost more then 8g.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-19244549/
this is a aluminum block ls3 by GM Performance. it runs a 1000 more then the iron engine but it has 480HP vs 450HP in the iron block. and it comes straight from GM Builders, only one builder is better and thats Edelbrock in my opinion

as for LS3 piston slap not sure go test drive a new camaro they run the ls3.

for the gear ratios if you liked the way it performed befor you LS1 left you, the dont mess with them

and keeping the MPG UP when you raise you HP is rare and hard to do
Thanks again!

The extra horses are nice for sure. I was getting around 23 - 25 mpg before and I know I have to sacrifice some mpg but do you have any idea how much sacrifice you would get with an SL3? It seems the new camaros have a decent mpg - would I get the same?

As a side note, I'm the one that put the Boston Acoustics system in the New Camaro!

So it's kind of funny to be thinking about going to test out the car that I sourced parts for when I worked at GM.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:41 PM
TECH Resident

Buy a LS3 long block, find out what need to be done to swap one over and go from there. A stock LS3 will have a noticeable power difference over your LS1 but keep stock drive ability and gas mileage. Direct drop ins would be of course LS1's, LQ's and GTO LS2's. The rest will need modifications as they run different pcms and etc. Like a LS3 will need a 24x reluctor wheel or conversion box added. A good direct drop in would be a LS2 6.0 pull out from a GTO. It'll have 799 heads which are the same as LS6 heads from a Z06 minus the sodium filled valves and a LS2 intake. Swap over your LS6 intake since the LS2 is junk and you'll be set. LS2 is aluminum block so is LS3 etc. LQ's are iron.

Also you can go with low mileage pull outs from specialty yards or here on Tech and save a considerable amount of money on a motor.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:50 PM
msu
Teching In

Originally Posted by oChristiano
Buy a LS3 long block, find out what need to be done to swap one over and go from there. A stock LS3 will have a noticeable power difference over your LS1 but keep stock drive ability and gas mileage. Direct drop ins would be of course LS1's, LQ's and GTO LS2's. The rest will need modifications as they run different pcms and etc. Like a LS3 will need a 24x reluctor wheel or conversion box added. A good direct drop in would be a LS2 6.0 pull out from a GTO. It'll have 799 heads which are the same as LS6 heads from a Z06 minus the sodium filled valves and a LS2 intake. Swap over your LS6 intake since the LS2 is junk and you'll be set. LS2 is aluminum block so is LS3 etc. LQ's are iron.

Also you can go with low mileage pull outs from specialty yards or here on Tech and save a considerable amount of money on a motor.

Thanks for the information oChristiano.

What kind of hp would I get from a LS2 with the LS6 intake?

Also, do you know of some "Specialty Yards" that I could check out?

Quick Reply: New Engine Suggestion for 2002 Trans Am - Blew Mine Up Today