Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

output shaft only spins one way after servo install, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default output shaft only spins one way after servo install, now what?

I'm following the 4l60e technical dvd and after installing the servo he says

"now the first thing we check after the servo installation is if the output shaft turns in BOTH directions"

then he goes on to say

"if we have bound the band up in any way it will only spin one direction and lock the other"

mine spins very easily one way, and then it takes some muscle to spin it the other way. What am I suppose to do now if the band is bound up? Do I have to take the pump off and check the band?

THANKS
Old 05-20-2011, 08:52 PM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

The one way will always be easy, the hard way must not get any harder. If the pan is off the band must wiggle at least an 1/8". The servo cover should be able to be pushed in no less than .060" with the snap ring installed.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PBA
The one way will always be easy, the hard way must not get any harder. If the pan is off the band must wiggle at least an 1/8". The servo cover should be able to be pushed in no less than .060" with the snap ring installed.
thanks for the reply, I'm able to push the servo cover is a lot further than .06". Is that where my problem lies? what would cause this to happen?

Thanks again
Old 05-21-2011, 01:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can only turn it one way then the servo pin is pushing the band in too tight. You can check to make sure the band wiggles front to back like stated above and if not you will need to possibly grind the tip of the servo pin down or try reinstalling and see if that helps. In my shift kit it states that the shaft may be a lot harder one way and that it is okay.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it will be a little harder to turn it one way than the other this is normal if the band is holding you wouldnt be able to turn it with a pair of vise grips locked to it. if it spins the band is not holding it. remember you will get a little more clearnce in the band also once it breaks in due to stretch of the band and also friction wear.

Quick Reply: output shaft only spins one way after servo install, now what?