General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Belt squealing after P/S pump install

Old 05-20-2011, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belt squealing after P/S pump install

I just installed a new Turn One P/S pump. Before the install, I never had any sort of belt/pulley squeal. Immediately after the install, the serpentine belt started squealing. It was kind of a "chirp" at idle, then became a steady squealing as RPMs increased. It wouldn't go away after the car warmed up.

I sprayed some belt dressing on the belt, and the noise went away at idle. However, the squeal has gotten worse when the RPMs increase. I don't think the pulleys are the problem, since I didn't have any problems before. This is driving me nuts.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

id recheck everything. PITA i know.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:33 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you actually replace the belt along with the pump? If not, how old is the belt? I had one that was about a year old and it was squealing like hell. Replaced it with a better quality belt and no more noise. Also, are your idler and tensioner pulleys in good shape? Not 10 year old good shape, but recently replaced good shape?
Old 05-21-2011, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fixed the problem. I got a new belt from NAPA, then cleaned all the pullies and tensioners really well with Brakleen and installed the new belt. The squeal is gone.

Search this Thread