Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Swap on 69 help

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 07:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Swap on 69 help

I have a couple of questions, i have a 2000 z28 that is in good running condition but have a salvage title for it from a mild crash awhile back. The car is a pretty good looking car but the fact of it having a salvage title does not really impress me. So i decide to install the LS1 to a very strait 69 chevy swb complete swap tranny motor and anything to make it run.. I want to leave the engine as it is i do not want to make a carburetor engine.? does any one know if i am getting my self into deep mud and if not does anyone know of a shop or anyone who can perform the swap for me that might be in Texas. Also my brother has a 6.0 he has been asking me to put on the camaro fo awhile will that make any difference on power and is it a good idea? The 6.0 only has 15000 miles...

Last edited by rodriguez8279; 05-21-2011 at 08:24 AM. Reason: no replies
Old 05-21-2011, 11:10 PM
Teching In

Not all at once
Old 05-22-2011, 07:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your probably not getting the response, because from your post, it shows you haven't been reading much. It took me a while to find info too, when I first started and sometimes it still does.

You can reuse almost everything from your donor car. If you use your stock a/c compressor mount, your subframe will need to be notched. You can use your stock oil pan, it will probably need to be notched. You have other options if you don't want to do the notching. Keep it fuel injected by modifying the harness and removing VATS and emissions controls from the PCM.

Also, if you go forward with the swap, you can keep the 6.0 for later. It will bolt right in and work if it has the 24 tooth reluctor wheel (pre 07 I think) This can be converted. Only down side is it's about 80 pounds heavier.

Now get reading!
Old 05-22-2011, 08:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Yet again...

Old 05-22-2011, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes read up all u can,if u can't find it guys here will happily help u
Old 05-23-2011, 07:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

read the thread linked in my sig....
Old 05-23-2011, 02:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try asking more specific area question. we get tired of re-writing the book on How-To...

The FAQ is a good place to research.

But what your doing is pertty straight forward as far as using a complete Donner F-Body engine,trans, Accessories and wiring.

as far as a LS1 or a Truck (LQ4/LQ9). You have more displacement and weight. You Choice here.

And as far as asking which one is better. No real wrong answer unless you have the correct Question... but ether way is a good choice.

Good Luck.. keep the research going.. and remember to ask small questions to get a better answer from all.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bczee
Try asking more specific area question. we get tired of re-writing the book on How-To...

The FAQ is a good place to research.

But what your doing is pertty straight forward as far as using a complete Donner F-Body engine,trans, Accessories and wiring.

as far as a LS1 or a Truck (LQ4/LQ9). You have more displacement and weight. You Choice here.

And as far as asking which one is better. No real wrong answer unless you have the correct Question... but ether way is a good choice.

Good Luck.. keep the research going.. and remember to ask small questions to get a better answer from all.
Thanks for all your answers i am reading and researching like crazy im going thru with the build.... Thanks again