Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1-2 accumulator dual springs question

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 1-2 accumulator dual springs question

When I took the 1-2 accumulator off, it had the 2 spring setup (one inner and one outer). The inner spring looks like it was originally painted white, and is hard as hell to compress, whereas the outer spring is hard, but compressible by hand. I was wondering if this is normal- or if someone installed this in the transmission to get a firmer shift?

Also, I'm a bit confused on the placement of the spring/piston of the 1-2 accumulator. The dvd video says that by looking on the separator plate, I can tell how it was originally installed. Mine looks like the piston was touching the plate, which means the springs go into the 1-2 accumulator housing, then the piston. One thing though, I don't see how the springs are effective when placed this way. I thought the springs should be touching the plate/piston face- forcing the piston from moving up.

I'm wondering if someone installed them the wrong way? Would it hurt to put them the way I think they should go?

Thats one big thing I don't get about the 4l60e is how the placement of the piston/springs differ from one 4l60e to another..

Last edited by TXjeepTJ; 05-21-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the stock setup of the piston is the piston against the plate and the 2 springs are stock also. if you put the piston inside the housing first this for the most part eliminates the 1-2 acumualtor and will give a firm to harsh 1-2 shift depending on how large you drill the sep plate...what i like doing is drill the 2nd feed to around .100 in that area and leave the accumualtor stock this will give firm shift but still give you some cushion and make it more drivable around town that bang shift really gets annoying afte ra while just cruising. at wot it will shift a little harder this wil lcreate a progressive shift...if you are using anything larger than a vette servo you definatley wannakeep the accumualtor in the stock configuration.

Quick Reply: 1-2 accumulator dual springs question