General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Pop when backing up

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 08:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Pop when backing up

When i start to back up in my camaro i hear a slight pop once and thats it. No clicking going forward at all it just has one pop when the wheels first start to roll. What could this be. I replaced the U joints thinking that was teh problem but still the same thing. Any ideas?
Old 05-21-2011, 10:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

rubber bushing on the TQ arm?
Old 05-22-2011, 12:56 AM
10 Second Club

Never thought about that I"ll check when I get back home. I'm in Pigeon Forge, TN for the weekend.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Broken differential maybe? Mine did that, it sounded like I had lockers.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Broken trans mount? Had a problem where it would pop sometimes shifting into first.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:08 PM
10 Second Club

I haven't had a chance yet to check the torque arm bushings but the trans mount is a new poly one. How can I tell if its the differential? It doesn't pop when turning in parking lots or anything. Its only the first rotation of the tires in reverse. I still ride it almost everyday with no problems other than that. Thanks
Old 05-24-2011, 04:08 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you're describing a consistent, unmoderating sound. If this is so, the problem is a slight gap/play somewhere between the transmission and differential: probably either one or both of the reverse gears and/or the gear cylinder in the transmission given that, 1, the pop only occurs in reverse, and 2, it occurs just once per start of every reverse acceleration. If the pop were to happen in both forward and reverse, you would assume the source to be at a location behind the transmission, due to the accessibility of all the gears to the popping component, and it would be highly unlikely that all your gears have the same problem at the same severity at the same time. But since it only happens in reverse, the first consideration is the probability that the problem's with the reverse gear (either on the input or output shaft). Additionally, if the noise were constant/repeating during your entire reverse motion, you could suspect the differential or bearings, but this would require the condition that the noise persists in forward as well, but it's not.

For a quick, definitive diagnosis, you or someone else should stay close by to try and pinpoint the location of the pop as you engage the clutch/torque converter in reverse. The slightest hint to its general location should be enough to make it obvious with little or no further investigation.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:02 PM
10 Second Club

The transmission probably doesn't have 1500 miles on it. It doesn't really do it every time its more like when you start to back up quickly or give it a little more shock than normal I guess in reverse. And going forward I'm easing out more. I guess you can feel it more than you can hear it if that makes sense. You can feel something move but it feels more like its toward the rearend. Its rained everyday since I got home so I haven't had a chance to check it out but hopefully tomorrow I'll get to. thanks
Old 05-24-2011, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had a pretty crazy problem with my m6 lt1 back in day. Figured I'd share, since you never know. Every time I went into reverse, the car (transmission) popped and even bucked! I was pretty disappointed to say the least and couldn't figure out what I had done to it this time I was just horsing around a little and goosing it with my buddy (in his Mustang ) on some dirt roads and back roads etc. All of a sudden this happened, and so we decided to put her in the shop and have a look over a few beers (and then a few more lol). As it turned out, what had actually happened is that a stone had become lodged between the trans casing and the cross-member (since there is flex in the transmission mounting). I guess while goosing it a stone shot up in there and then the gap closed a little after getting off the throttle, which in turn tightened the gap and wedged the stone in there. So everytime I backed up it bucked and popped due to trans alingnment. I am lucky that stone didn't punch a hole through the casing. Anyways, just a thought-sometimes these things are so stupid its funny good luck op.

Quick Reply: Pop when backing up