General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

ac compressor idler pulley

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ac compressor idler pulley

So I put in my compressor, new belt and the idler pulley sounds like a chicken coop is under my hood. Go to replace it realizing it is a star bit. Got the right size and went to loosen it, and it immediately stripped. Yes I was going the right way. So now I'm stuck with this horrific noise coming from the hood and can't do anything about it unless I don't want ac. Has anyone else had this problem? If so how did you get the bolt out? Gm is idiotic for putting a star bit in that area, I understand because of the belt, but they should have moved it a tad up. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:02 PM
Teching In

Only two easier ways i can think of both involve a dremel or similar tool. Either cut a slit down the center of it and try to fit a flathead screwdriver or thin metal bar into it. Or grind down the edges of the bolt on two sides, allowing you to get a wrench on there. Either way it wont be easy due to the confined area. Good luck.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:21 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out of curiousity, did you use a T-50 bit? When I did mine a few months ago, I used that bit along with an 18 inch rachet. I did it from the top and used one hand to hold the bit on the bolt. had to reach way down to grab hold of it to keep the ratchet and bit steady. With that much leverage the Torx bolt popped off with a minimum amount of force.

If you used a smaller bit, you may try using a T-50 and it might still be able to grab. Another recommended way to remove bolts is to get a nut or bolt welded to the bad bolt then use a regular ratchet bit to loosen it. Honestly, you could probably just go that route. If you can't weld yourself, find a shop that can, tell them exactly what you want done, and let em have at it. You are also probably going to want to use another exact Torx bit as well. I say this because I had the idea to replace the Torx with a regular bolt but then realized that a bolt with any kind of respectable head was going to be REAL close to the main drive belt. Likely why GM used the Torx bolt in the first place, but who knows.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

Thanks guys, appreciate the input. Im taking it to a shop today, gonna see what they can do for it. Im gonna try a new t-50, i dont know exactly what i had, i just matched them up snug. but as far as the welding goes it seems to be the only "safe" route, i would hate to go in there and mess up the radiator trying with the dremel. Once again, thanks
Old 05-23-2011, 04:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

I used a dremel to get mine off... cut off the sides of the bolt head and slid the pulley off. Once the pulley was off and the bolt was exposed, I was able to use some vice grips to turn it out. Good luck
Old 06-01-2011, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

Ok, so when I get the bolt out, where do I find the bolt to replace it. All the parts stores say they won't carry it, and the gm dealership says to buy the bolt I must also buy the pulley and of course they want 70 bucks... any suggestions for bolts? Obviously I can't use a regular head as it will hit the serpentine. And when you said you dremeled it, did you just dremel around the head? Or just grind it down? Thanks
Old 06-02-2011, 12:31 AM
On The Tree

Anyone?
Old 06-02-2011, 01:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Yeah that ******* star bolt was tight as hell on mine too.....no idea where to get another one.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Fast98Z
Anyone?
I got mine from rock auto. They sell the bolt/pulley as an assembly.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Fast98Z
Ok, so when I get the bolt out, where do I find the bolt to replace it. All the parts stores say they won't carry it, and the gm dealership says to buy the bolt I must also buy the pulley and of course they want 70 bucks... any suggestions for bolts? Obviously I can't use a regular head as it will hit the serpentine. And when you said you dremeled it, did you just dremel around the head? Or just grind it down? Thanks
I used a dremel cutting wheel (bought the cutting wheel set from Lowe's) to cut the sides of the bolt head off. You'll probably go through 1 or 2 cutting wheels to finish the job. Just be careful when you're cutting down there.

TIP: Removing the Radiator Fan Assembly will give you a little more room to work with.