LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

MSD Vented Cap Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 12:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MSD Vented Cap Install Question

I'm getting ready to do MSD vented cap and rotor on a GM opti and had some questions. About the fresh air line, I have a ceramic coated elbow and am not sure how I should install it unless there is another place I can put it. Can I just drill a hole in the elbow and find the right size grommet for the hose and stick it in so it's a tight fit, would that be enough? Or do I need to thread a fitting on there with a nipple for the hose to go on? Also I'm not sure if the ceramic coating will crack or something from making the hole.

I also plan to use an old opti that has about 10k or less miles on it that I replaced because I thought it was faulty but it turned out to be fuel pump. It's been sitting in an open box for a few years in my garage, it's the sealed unit, not apart or anything. Is it okay to use? should I clean it someone, blow it out with compressed air? I don't know that much about optis so I plan to use this opportunity as a learning experience. Just in case I wasn't wrong about the opti being faulty, is there any way to test an opti off the car, like with a voltmeter?

My plan from everything I've read is to take apart the GM opti and put the msd cap and rotor on, use red loctite on all screws and put a bead of black RTV along the rubber seal of the otpi, including the parts around the connectors and the vent holes at the bottom of the opti housing. Anything else? Oh and is one brand of waterpump any better than another?

Last edited by Marc3.4V6; 05-23-2011 at 01:21 AM.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:49 PM
TECH Regular

I would just tap it into your elbow, maybe underneath so if you scratch it it wont be noticable. I installed the same cap and rotor on my stock 60k mile gm opti, I dont recall cleaning out the stock housing but if you want to I would use some electronic cleaner spray to be safe. My opti was actually working fine at the time, I've never had any opti problems in 14 years with the car. I installed the cap/rotor since I had it all apart for the cam and figured it was a good idea at the time. Its been working great for the last few years not sure how you would test one before installing though. If your opti only has 10k on it and it is a gm unit Im sure it will be fine. Contrary to a lot of stories you hear about them a lot of guys have gone 100-200k miles on a stock opti, some probably even more...
Old 05-23-2011, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks gregg.