LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

A Couple Questions for ES P/A Class...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A Couple Questions for ES P/A Class...

I just finished pulling the motor out of the Z yesterday, and wanted to throw a couple of questions out there. It seems like the class rules have changed since I read them a couple of months ago, but I may be wrong. I thought I remember reading something about retention of the opti for ES classes and coil conversions being prohibited, etc. Here are my questions:

First off: "All other aftermarket EFI systems not permitted." Would an LS2 coil conversion with the LTCC be considered an aftermarket EFI system? It's more like a piggyback to the stock PCM in my eyes, just curious. Need to know what route to go on this one.

Second: "Must have mufflers." OKAY... big issue for me. I didn't run ES P/A last year, so this wasn't an issue. With my car being a rear-mount turbo setup, I have no mufflers. How will this fly?

Last edited by ZGOBYBY; 05-23-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:09 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGOBYBY
I just finished pulling the motor out of the Z yesterday, and wanted to throw a couple of questions out there.

First off: "All other aftermarket EFI systems not permitted." Would an LS2 coil conversion with the LTCC be considered an aftermarket EFI system? It's more like a piggyback to the stock PCM in my eyes, just curious. Need to know what route to go on this one.

Second: "Must have mufflers." OKAY... big issue for me. I didn't run ES P/A last year, so this wasn't an issue. With my car being a rear-mount turbo setup, I have no mufflers. How will this fly?
two really good questions jen..........gotta wait for tony on this one i would think.....
Old 05-23-2011, 01:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You said rear mount.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gregrob
You said rear mount.
Duh dun dun dun. I will wait to see what the decision is on this one.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I know that Tony is occupied right now, so he probably won't be able to post in response to this.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See my comments in bold...

Originally Posted by ZGOBYBY
I just finished pulling the motor out of the Z yesterday, and wanted to throw a couple of questions out there. It seems like the class rules have changed since I read them a couple of months ago, but I may be wrong. I thought I remember reading something about retention of the opti for ES classes and coil conversions being prohibited, etc. Here are my questions:

>> Coil per plug conversions are permitted as long as it maintains an LT1 or LS1 PCM. So you're fine. Aftermarket EFI means FAST and other controllers that replace the factory PCM.

>> Is it a single or twin setup? The ES classes only permit single power adders. If it is just a single, I would have no issue permitting your setup in the ES class. Dumped exhaust with no mufflers and open headers are what we are trying to keep out.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay, great Kyle. Thanks for the response. I have a single turbo, no twins here. I am shooting for throwing my LS2 coil packs on with an LTCC and my stock PCM.

Again, thanks.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:24 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

thats a good time for you ^ lol
Old 05-24-2011, 03:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
thats a good time for you ^ lol
Well, I am shooting for mid-8s for compression with 15-17 lbs of boost, so I am thinking 12.18 would be high for me. LOL... being conservative, I would like low 11s.

Feasible... I think. LOL

Quick Reply: A Couple Questions for ES P/A Class...