Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Called an install shop, said they wouldnt install the cam/heads because of bad match

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 02:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Called an install shop, said they wouldnt install the cam/heads because of bad match

So I had Pat G custom grind a cam to my goals and mods. The shop, which I wont name, basically said they wont install the cam and heads but would do everything else because they dont think its a good match. However, they did offer to sell me a set of ported LS6 heads (which I already have) and a custom cam they would grind and they would install that.

Now I was pretty pissed off; it seems to me like the shop just wont install them because I didnt buy them from them so they could make more money off me. I have full faith in Pat's cam he is making for me, and pretty much just blew this shop off after they told me that.

Cam Specs:
234/234 .602"/.602" 114 LSA

PRC Stage 1 Ported LS6 Heads 61cc
TEA Gold Dual Valve Springs .660" Lift Rating

They also told me my pushrods were going to be the wrong size, when Pat G also sent me the math proving they were correct. Oh well, I'm going to chalk this one up as the shop just wanting to make more money off of me. Good thing I've got another one lined up with no issues with my parts.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:47 PM
12 Second Club

Yea thats bogus
Old 05-23-2011, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I will install them for you!
Old 05-24-2011, 01:11 AM
Staging Lane

Its all good, I've got a shop I've worked with in the past on my Mustang and he's happy to do it for me. I just hate how some shops operate; if its not your policy to install heads/cam that customers bring to you, just say so. Dont feed me some bullshit about how its not a good match.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's absolute garbage. Who are they to tell you it's a bad match. Especially when they know nothing about your goals. And the truth is that you could put whatever heads/cam you want into an LSx as long as you have the right rods and you have valve clearance.

That's just stupid. Whatever... A shop like that deserves to lose money and customers.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Really, PRC ported LS6 heads and a custom grind cam from Pat G no good? BS. IMO, a respectable shop can admit they just won't install customer brought parts, and NOT feed you a load of crock. When your car is put together and it's all said and done, share your results with that shop just to call them out as bullshitters.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:22 AM
11 Second Club

Default f

were are you located had a similar experiance with a shop, they messed up on there end. i waited for the tuner to go to the dentist for 2hr before my car went on the dyno then was rushed out cause he had dinner plans. and the whole time he put down my combo. was a gm asa cam and bo white 853 heads. said he never heard of either. it ran very well btw
Old 05-27-2011, 05:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

You should go back to the shop after you have your "poorly matched" parts installed and show them the dyno sheet and brag like a ten year old. Then tell them your Ben Franklins and their shop would have been a poor match anyways. Be sure to light em' up when you leave.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:43 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckwheat
You should go back to the shop after you have your "poorly matched" parts installed and show them the dyno sheet and brag like a ten year old. Then tell them your Ben Franklins and their shop would have been a poor match anyways. Be sure to light em' up when you leave.
I wouldn't waste his time, shops like that don't deserve to stay open. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 06-09-2011, 07:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
I wouldn't waste his time, shops like that don't deserve to stay open. Bob
I agree...take the high road and move on !!!
Old 06-09-2011, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You're definitely better off working with the "plan B" shop! Good to work with a shop that appreciates your business and will help you meet your goals with the parts you selected.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Patrick G is the MAN.

f that shop. Sounds like they're a bunch of dumb ******* that don't know **** about the car and maybe don't want to work on it period. Half of my customers bring me they're own parts,....which to me,...is fine, as long as everything is there.

anyways, super gay.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
Patrick G is the MAN.
FACT!

Patrick G + calculator > most shops

Quick Reply: Called an install shop, said they wouldnt install the cam/heads because of bad match