Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Internals swap from LQ9 to LS2?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 05:11 PM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Internals swap from LQ9 to LS2?

I have an (I think) LQ9 based 408 from TSP in my 2000 Z28. I want to put it in my "new" 1979 Z28 project, along with the transmission and rear end and whatever else will go. The problem is, I really wanted an aluminum block in that car. Is it possible to get an LS2 aluminum block and switch everything over, and just have a spare block for later? I don't have the money to drop on a new motor without selling the 2000 Z, but I really doubt that I will get the $14k that I want out of it, so it will probably be stripped for parts for the 1979. A block and some machine shop work will be a lot easier on the wallet.

Thanks,
Adam
Old 05-23-2011, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

a 408 has a .030" over bore, so if you did get a new block, you would need to have it rebored. it is also a good idea to have the block square-decked (to ensure the part of the block that the heads sit on it perfectly flat). but other than that, yes, all of your internals will switch over.

btw, i switched from an aluminum block to an iron, and didnt even notice the weight difference. there is a 95lb weight difference between the blocks, and i eliminated some unneeded junk in the engine bay and ended up keepin the car the same weight.. i doubt in your heavy camaro that you would notice much of a difference at all. youre going to spend a lot of money for an LS2 block also... just to keep in mind
Old 05-24-2011, 06:53 PM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, at least I know that it's feasible. Can the LS2 be bored .030" though, with the sleeved bores and such? I'm looking to keep the weight down to 3300 lbs., and I might end up with a use for the LQ9 that involves lots more horsepower than I plan on putting down in the '79 Z. An LS2 block from TSP is only ~$1200, and if I found a used one, I'm sure I could get it for less. Well, probably not going to find one. Anyhow, it's still just an idea bouncing around in my head. Thanks for your input!

Quick Reply: Internals swap from LQ9 to LS2?