PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked up HPP III/power tuning good/bad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picked up HPP III/power tuning good/bad?

On a LT1 powered car (My old 94 Z), the talk was that in some cases when using the power programming on a HPP cost you performance.

I just picked up a HPP III from the for sale section here for $150 shipped for my 1999 Z28 M6. Does the newer HPP III give a performance gain in power output over the stock tuning?

I will have the other features to play with such as rev limiter, top speed limiter, tire size, fan cooling etc.. I'm just wondering if the power tuning is worth any HP/TQ gain? Anyone dyno proven this one way or the other? Thanks for the info, Fred
Old 02-24-2004, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

on my 02 WS6 case not only did the power tuning make great power.. it made my engine ping like a ****. Not a good thing. I would think most people would say DONT use the power programming. It will make knock and hurt your engine. It will make power but in an unwanted manner. That was my case and many others on board..

just my .02
Old 02-24-2004, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will be kind to you with this answer. You got screwed. I have the HPP111 for my 2002 ls1 and now I have LS1Edit. I used my edit to pull the hpp111 off my car just to see what they did different then the factory. So far (just in the engine program) all I can find is they added 5 degrees of timing in the ignition. Nothing more. Nothing with the fuel, nothing with anything else. You paid for a timing change that may even hurt your hp output. If the knock sensors picks up persived detonation due to the timing incress, it can pull way more timing out of the engine then you had with the stock program. The only thing it is good for is correcting the speedo. Yes, you can adjust for shift firmness, but it does not change the shift time. On mine the shift time was stock. The fasted the stock program would let the trans shift the gears was 0.200 seconds going from 1-2 and it was set for alonger delay from 2-3 and it was set for a 0.5 (thats half a second) delay to complete the 3-4 shift. It also does nothing to take out the torque reduction the PCM uses when it shifts gears. It DOES NOT DO ANYTHING FOR ANY TORQUE REDUCTION ANYWERE! What it does do to the shift firmness it does at all throttle possistions. So it hits harded at normal driving around town conditions. What I did to mine with the Edit was remove all torque reduction everywere(Keeping the PCM from cutting power for any reason other then the Traction Control). I lowered all ,my shift times down to 0.075 seconds which speeds up the shifting process(at least to the trans mechanical abilities), I then only changed my shift firmness from 72% throttle to WOT. This gives me a running around town shift that you hear but do not feel, BUT, when you stand on it, you better be ready for the *** end to run infront of you when it does shift. That should limit my extra wear and tear to the trans only when I am racing the car.

So to make a long story short, you would have been WAY BETTER OFF saving the $150 up until you got the $550 to buy LS1 Edit. Sorry, but there is only one way to put it, you and I and no telling how many others have all been dupt by Hypertec. So is life. Sorry

Last edited by Texas_WS6; 02-24-2004 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Bad Spelling
Old 02-24-2004, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

i agree with texas ws6. I got screwed on my hpp3 purchase as well.

But i only bought it because i had the wingswest kit on there and i needed to adjust the fan settings ASAP as it was over heating even with the 160 stat.

if i would of known mti does fan settings tuning for only $50 at the time i wouldnt of bought the hpp3 programmer.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I do not mean to be rude or anything. Please do not think I was flaming you. I just hait to see other do the same stupid thing I did. Heck, I wont even sell mine. I gave mine away to someone who only needed it to correct his speedo after he changed his gears. I just could not bring myself to screwing him. There is just so much more you can do with LS1 Edit, and I feel stupid for buying it. I found out two weeks after getting mine that HPTuners is about to release there tunner software WHICH HAS A SCANNING PROGRAM WITH IT! Something I need and I am going to have to spend another $500 to get. HPTuners software is supposed to be selling for around $500. So I will have $1000 in my programing set up before it is over with and still have to fumble around with two different cables. Man I wish I would have know about HPTuners two weeks ago! Like I said before "SO IS LIFE".
Old 02-24-2004, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok guys thanks for the info. I do need to calibrate my speedo for the 4.11's in the Moser 12 Bolt & BFG drag rad's.

I'll have to see if I get spark knock(pinging) etc.. I fully plan on getting LT1 Edit once I get LT's and a cam. I figure for 150 bucks I can always re-sell it & get my money back when I'm ready for LT1 Edit.

Advancing the timing 5 degrees is alot. I'll try running 94 octane Sunoco on the street & track to see what that does. If nothing else @ the track I should be able to test the performance difference on my car.

I have a M6 so the shifting firmness won't be a concern with the HPp III. Thanks for the advice, Fred
Old 02-24-2004, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Glad to help. One last thing about the Torque reduction. I am not sure if the 99 has it but I do know that on the LS1's it will come into play not only when it is shifting gears but at any time the PCM thinks the engine is making more torque then the preset factory limit. On my 2002 the factory timit was 350. That is why when I used my 150 shot NO2 we could only get around 100 hp incress instead of the 150 hp incress I was looking for. Not only that but it sure did lean the car out. So I had to run fatter fuel pills to get the AF ratio back to exceptible limits. The other thing it caused is I could feel the car fall on its face when it went to shift gears and it felt like I was cutting the car on and off all the way through 3rd gear. Now with the torque reduction eliminated, I had to lean the fuel pills back out, I got more then the 150 hp incress I wanted, the AF ratio is perfect, the car goes ape **** when it shifts gears, and it pulls so sweet and hard through 3rd. Our tracks are closed right now, but I can not wait to see what my new times are!!!

Point is, there is alot of need to have something like LS1 Edit, even way before you do heads or cam changes. You WILL realise more then you would think from a profetional tune or some quality time with a good tunning program.

Your plan makes sence and sounds good. Just don't forget there is a **** load more power there that you are leaving on the table. More then you would think.