Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lq9-72nova

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 01:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lq9-72nova

Lets start with some brief history. The Nova started out with a 350 2brl which i never saw. What was in it when my dad bought it gave out when i was in high school and i just so happen to have a small block in the 68 gmc step-side i was driving. My trans was already giving way in the ol' truck and i was tired of the entire set up so it was a no-brainer. My old man didnt have money to keep throwing into it and told me if i did the swap i could buy it from him cheap! I had always been into hot rods but id never really gotten my hands dirty. I was 17 at the time when i asked my neighbor i had been doing odd jobs for what it would take to do the swap. He helped me with the first heart transplant, telling me what to do every step of the way and tackling the real muscle i couldn't quite weigh in. I am 24 now and through the years ive gotten to know this car. I feel it deserves a fresh start and im going to take care of the major issues first. - The old 350 is out.
A friend of mine i worked with for a couple of years cop'd me an 04' LQ9- 6.0 out of a denali i believe. He was able to get motor from the local chevy dealer for a 100 bucks minus intake and front assembly. We were told it had around 130,000 miles and that sugar had been poured into the denali's gas tank, reason for pulling it. I didnt quite know what i was getting myself into. but my friend, Forrest Ables. had been building high performance cars for years and i was quite confident we could make it work. We broke down the engine at work one day and found no real foul signs. Nothing broken or even worn bad. But to be safe i wanted to replace almost everything in the motor.
Before the genI 350 left me on the side of the road, Forrest and i were able to dyno and tune a little. A shocking 184hp and 225ft lbs. Not impressed!. The only thing pulling the boat of a car around. it seemed, was the trans. An older th400 with a shift kit. The rear end also got some tlc years back with a 341 gear set up and an auburn locker, new axles etc.
The LQ9 was all disassembled, the block machined, polished the crank, new ibeam eagle rods, forged mahle pistons, stock ls1 cam. everything balanced and professional installed. Everything was cleaned and painted during the assembly process to try an achieve a somewhat new looking motor.
There are a lot of things im leaving out but im not writing a magazine article here. I will post some pics up to where i am currently and i have a few issues to discuss. Ive been reading through many post relating the issue and there are still a few variations in my particular build. So here it is. Past, present and future!!. Any help is much appreciated!! I will be posting a couple of questions tomorrow but here are some pics for now!.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:19 AM

a little visual
Attached Thumbnails Lq9-72nova-nova-build.jpg   Lq9-72nova-nova-build-1-.jpg   Lq9-72nova-nova-build-2-.jpg   Lq9-72nova-nova-build-3-.jpg   Lq9-72nova-nova-build-4-.jpg  

Lq9-72nova-nova-build-5-.jpg   Lq9-72nova-nova-build-6-.jpg   Lq9-72nova-nova-build-7-.jpg   Lq9-72nova-nova-build-8-.jpg   Lq9-72nova-nova-build-9-.jpg  

Old 05-24-2011, 01:34 AM

Various stages. Edelbrocks dual plane manifold with msd box
Attached Thumbnails Lq9-72nova-nova-build-11-.jpg   Lq9-72nova-nova-build-12-.jpg   Lq9-72nova-nova-build-15-.jpg   Lq9-72nova-nova-build-20-.jpg   Lq9-72nova-nova-build-24-.jpg  

Lq9-72nova-nova-build-28-.jpg   Lq9-72nova-nova-build-37-.jpg   Lq9-72nova-nova-build-38-.jpg   Lq9-72nova-nova-build-39-.jpg   Lq9-72nova-nova-build-32-.jpg  

Old 05-24-2011, 06:12 AM
TECH Resident

Couple questions for ya:
1. What's up with the paint?
2. Why a stock LS1 cam?
3. What trans you goin with?
Old 05-24-2011, 12:31 PM

1. The paint was sanded and primed after i was in a small fender bender years back and had to replace the front driver fender. I got some thin stamp fender from goodmark (i plan to replace) which was black, so i just murdered it out. (the red had a lot of acid rain) My Dad hates the Nova black though. I have plans to paint the car a candy brandy wine (deep red) or a gunmetal metalic. Not sure if i want to flat black the engine bay or try and attempt a show look. Ive also had thoughts of painting the entire motor gunmetal to match the block. Ideas for engine compartment?
2. Cam- FOR NOW, im trying just to get the entire assembly together and collect all of the parts i need. At first, diving into this, i was told most parts i could get for free/cheap from my friend or for a low price from junkyards. ie the front assembly and other stuff. Im still not having any luck with that but anyways, i wanted to rebuild the motor as much as possible and keep the price at a minimum. The cam was FREE, but had been previously used.. but with no real wear. At the time it was the only way to go considering my financial stipulations. I really do want to upgrade the cam, though it will probably happen when i pull everything before paint and after ive put money in other areas. What cam would you suggest thats not too crazy, and at a decent price?? Recap- replacing the cam= remove timing cover, chain and gear, bolts for cam and replace? Im also aware ill probably need new springs?
3. Transmission- Also for the time being im just bolting up the old TH400 ive been running for years. Its always pulled pretty strong but then again.. i do have a friend with a couple of T56's needing a rebuild. Keeping the price down i felt it was the way to go. I purchased a new TCI streetfighter 3000 stall Tq converter and im going to pick up a stock LS1 flex plate today in hopes that everything will match up okay.

INITIAL INSTALLATION- Ive been test fitting the motor for about a week. I had struggled with the mount set up. I AM USING THE SUMMIT RACING PLATES WITH STOCK MOUNTS. The plates are etched, R and then L on another. One would think just mounting the one that said R on the right side of the motor with the letter upright would work. The R plate actually goes on the passenger side of the motor and flipped upside down. (I had my stock mounts upside down to start). After fooling with it seeing that the mounts would leave me against the fire wall or way too forward, i knew what i was facing. Right now theres 1/4 inch clearance from head to fire wall. I could actually live with it if the trans will fit behind it- and not hit the trans tunnel being so close. ANYONE OUT THERE USING SUMMIT PLATES IN A NOVA? Ive been looking and most of the mounting plates look to be the same design, limiting you to only usable holes and some for adjustments. I dont have any for adjustment but im still really close to the fire wall. I am considering tapping new holes in the plates to move everything forward an inch. Plus side is the stock truck oil pan clears the cross member and is 5 or so inches off of the ground in the rear. Im also picking up a vette pan, vette manifolds, and a set of truck manifolds to see if anything will work with what ive got. I have the feeling ill have to go with an aftermarket header because of steering box clearance, But im crossing my fingers
This is all for right now. I have to go pick up some parts and get back to my day job. I will be posting more tonight regarding best front assembly to go with for a Nova. Thanks for the interest and any help is greatly appreciated!!
Attached Thumbnails Lq9-72nova-picture-004.jpg   Lq9-72nova-picture-005.jpg   Lq9-72nova-picture-007.jpg   Lq9-72nova-picture-008.jpg   Lq9-72nova-picture-009.jpg  

Lq9-72nova-picture-010.jpg  
Old 05-24-2011, 12:38 PM

machine shop print out. taken with crappy iphone-sorry guys
Attached Thumbnails Lq9-72nova-picture.jpg  
Old 05-24-2011, 01:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If using the th400, get a flexplate for a lq4 or lq9 6.0 instead of the LS1 flexplate, the 6.0 flexplate is setup to work with the 400 trans, whereas the Ls1 will require you to purchase the spacer kit.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by deuce4935
If using the th400, get a flexplate for a lq4 or lq9 6.0 instead of the LS1 flexplate, the 6.0 flexplate is setup to work with the 400 trans, whereas the Ls1 will require you to purchase the spacer kit.
He will still need the spacer for that crank, won't he?
Old 05-24-2011, 02:49 PM
TECH Resident

1. Ok gotcha on the paint. From the pics the red looked pretty nice. I did a semi gloss (satin) black on my engine compartment.
2. I would say best bang for your buck would be a ls6 cam and springs.
3. Th400 will do good behind the 6.0

I used some el cheapo eBay plates 1" set back (which put the back of the block in the factory location) but do to other unforeseen circumstances I wound up moving the frame stands and redrilling the frame.

What vette pan are you getting. I have the lh8 (swap) pan and I wouldn't waste your money on it for the extra 3/4" of ground clearance.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:37 AM

Picture of the parts i got today.-New flex plate about $55. from carquest. It matched up fine with the LQ9 and the TCI converter. Im pretty satisfied with the quality for the price; all the teeth are clean,was new in plastic. oiled and not rusted like everything else ive found. The converter came with bolts but i still have to run by chevy and pick up some stock hardware to mount the flex plate and trans to the motor. Im going to mock everything up with the transmission this weekend to see if it actually clears the trans tunnel.

As far as a spacer is concerned,.. Do i need a spacer for this particular ap? Im going to put everything together so ill find out but does anyone have a link to a page i havent found yet- regarding a ls1 th400 spacer situation??
Spacer goes between the flexplate and motor??

QUESTION:
If the Tq converter i have has a 3500 stall, is that unrealistic for this build and the stock LS1 cam?? Am i wasting RPM? When i ordered the converter i was a little excited and didnt make sure to choose a stall correctly. I think i can still return or exchange it for the right one if need be. Im thinking a 2500-3G stall??

Photos of the Summit plates and the stock mounts. Also showing where i plan to re-locate the stock mounts on the Summit plates to move the motor forward about an inch (If the trans doesnt clear)

Exhaust manifolds to choose from thanks to Forrest!!.- Corvette, truck, and f-body- ill try these on tomorrow and see if anything will clear the driver side.

Oil pan- corvette pan- which DIDNT end up fitting. Seems to sit closer to the crossmember and the wings of the pan interfere with the steering.
Im thinking ill have to hack the truck pan down some to give me more ground clearance, or buy an expensive aftermarket pan.
Ill try and get my hands on a few other pans or brush up on the LSX pan page on here to see what will fit the best, if not the truck.
Also scored a vette tensioner and pulley!.

QUESTION
What is the best front end assembly for LQ9 in the Nova?? Im thinking of just going with the stock c5 setup, but i like the look of this guys setup on youtube. Here's the link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTuye...DBCEEBDD00E261

Does anyone know what water pump or alternator bracket he is running??
I really want to keep everything low- below the valve covers.

more tomorrow- ive got to get some sleep!
Attached Thumbnails Lq9-72nova-tonights-photos.jpg   Lq9-72nova-tonights-photos-1-.jpg   Lq9-72nova-tonights-photos-2-.jpg   Lq9-72nova-tonights-photos-3-.jpg   Lq9-72nova-tonights-photos-4-.jpg  

Lq9-72nova-tonights-photos-5-.jpg   Lq9-72nova-tonights-photos-6-.jpg   Lq9-72nova-tonights-photos-7-.jpg   Lq9-72nova-tonights-photos-8-.jpg   Lq9-72nova-tonights-photos-9-.jpg  

Old 05-25-2011, 02:39 AM

Attached Thumbnails Lq9-72nova-tonights-photos-10-.jpg   Lq9-72nova-tonights-photos-11-.jpg   Lq9-72nova-tonights-photos-12-.jpg   Lq9-72nova-tonights-photos-13-.jpg   Lq9-72nova-tonights-photos-14-.jpg  

Lq9-72nova-tonights-photos-15-.jpg   Lq9-72nova-tonights-photos-16-.jpg  
Old 05-25-2011, 05:29 AM
Launching!

http://www.nookandtranny.com/Info_LSx.html

some good info on oil pans about 3/4 the way down...
Old 05-25-2011, 01:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i can't seem to find the summit brand mount plates, but those look like Hookers, which are basically the S&P/Carshopinc plates that are standard fare.

i don't believe the LQ9 has the 'extended crank' like the LQ4, so you will likely need a spacer. look at the back side of the motor - if the flywheel mount at the rear of the crank extends past the block ~1/2", you don't need a spacer. if it's like the pic below, you will need one.

you will likely want to take an inch or 2 off the bottom of the truck pan; otherwise you may run into ground clearance issues. peep frojoe's build in the X-body thread in my sig.

3500 is too much stall for that combo. you won't like the drivability at all.

And as always, it's nice to see a fellow X-body owner undertaking the LSx swap. Peep the X-body thread in my signature for tons of info - especially Frojoe's build, since he mated an LQ4 to a TH350.

Finally, on those T56's -- where are you located? I'm looking for a T56 for my GTO LSx build, and I have no problem rebuilding one. PM me if your buddy's interested in selling one.

This would need a spacer:

This wouldn't (best pic I have of my LQ4 w/ the 'extended crank'):
Old 12-02-2011, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

Make any more progress? Are you going to go with the truck pan?

Quick Reply: Lq9-72nova