General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear main or Oil pan?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 09:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rear main or Oil pan?

Do rear mains leak if the car is not running? Only asking because I am chasing down a leak in my Firehawk. Car is currently jacked up by the front end and has not been ran in a few days. Some oil is still finding its way to the backside bottem of the pan. It has been cleaned a few times already.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess its coming out of the bell housing? If it is I will put my money on a rear main seal any day of the week over the oil pan.

I look at it like this. what would be more likely to leak? a gasket sealing two flat surfaces or a lip seal sealing a moving part?

I know that may not always be the case but it seems most likely.

I've personally fixed 3 rear main seals on LS engines.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took the inspection covers off and the flexplate and everything else inside the tranny that I can see are pretty dry. I will update after this weekend I am either dropping the oil pan or pulling the tranny.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 LT1 oil leak

I just purchased a 93 Z with an LT1 6 speed. I have also found it to have an oil leak. I assume it is the rear main seal for the same reason mentioned above. I have worked on "old" hot rods most of my life. Not used to the newer style applications. How hard is it to repalce the rear maim seal in a 93 F body with a LT1 in it. Do you have to pull the motor?

Thanks!