New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver side Power Window

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver side Power Window

I am new to the F-body scene and I heard that the window motors go out like crazy on these cars. Anyway Im pretty sure my window motor is out. When I push the the button to roll it up, I dont hear any motor sound and now my window is stuck in the down position. I cant even pull the damn thing up! What do you guys think?? If the motor is out would I still be able to pull the window up by hand?? I dont want to force it! What other issues could I be looking at?

thanks
Old 05-24-2011, 01:00 PM

oh BTW I have a 98 trans am
Old 05-24-2011, 01:52 PM
Teching In

I just had to replace the window motors on my 01 T/A...you're right, they are infamous for going bad. Do a search on here, there are many threads addressing what could be going on. If your motors are bad, it is a pretty complex process to replace them. Definitely not for beginners (I paid someone to do mine)
Old 05-24-2011, 02:00 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Sounds like either the motor or the switch is bad (switches go bad sometimes too).

It's not too hard to replace the motor, though it is a bit time consuming if you've never done one before. IMO, replacing the regulator would be a much worse job, but just doing the motor is very possibile for anyone with decent mechanical abilities.

Here is a great step-by-step process. I followed it, and it worked perfectly:

http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html
Old 05-24-2011, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 208 Likes on 160 Posts

You'll have to remove the motor first to manually move the window up. While you have the motor out, you can do what this guy did in this link and it will bring the motor back to life, assuming that a dead motor is your problem.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...tors-pics.html
Old 05-24-2011, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradfurd
I just had to replace the window motors on my 01 T/A...you're right, they are infamous for going bad. Do a search on here, there are many threads addressing what could be going on. If your motors are bad, it is a pretty complex process to replace them. Definitely not for beginners (I paid someone to do mine)
Disagree, respectfully.

I am definitely a beginner, and I did it myself. You definitely need patience, and another set of hands makes it go a lot quicker. I used THIS walk-through to help me do the work. I won't lie, it took me over 2 hours in my parents' garage, but I'd say over 45 minutes of that was me trying to get the damn door put back together. Click every image in that link, and print those pages. That'll be your step-by-step. If it looks to be too much for you to handle, then pay someone. You may even be able to find another LS1Tech member locally to help you out.

EDIT - The mod beat me to the link. It is a great step-by-step though - well worth double-posting.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:08 PM
Teching In

I saw that same walkthrough, just assumed I would most likely screw it up, and being totally unfamiliar with the process, thought I better go out of house!
Old 05-24-2011, 02:58 PM

Thanks you guys are LEGIT! I am going to do the job myself. After looking at the process Im going to try it out. It doesnt look too bad. TYhe motor is like $55 from autozone. And the switch if I need one is liek $30.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It really isn't a horrible job if you take your time with it. Starting this project with a time restriction (need the car fixed by 2PM, etc.) will ensure you have problems. Also, be careful when you remove the small panel with the window/lock switches. It is held in with plastic clips that break very easily. I broke a clip, and had to rig a fix for it, which was not easy to do.

Good luck!
Old 05-24-2011, 03:13 PM
Teching In

Z Fury, maybe you can either confirm or correct me...

Is the $55 AutoZone motor a "lifetime guarantee" product?

That could be good or bad I guess...how similar of a product is it to OEM?
Old 05-24-2011, 05:10 PM
Staging Lane

if you want to test motor first to make sure that is the problem and not the switch. pull door cover off. locate plug going from switch to window motor, it will only have 2 wires. put a 12v battery to those two wires. pos to one neg to the other, its doesnt matter which. switching the wires changes polarity one way makes it go up the other way makes it go down. if it doesnt go either way then motor is bad. if it does work then switch is bad.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Easy easy easy!! Seriously, do it yourself.

1 hour, by myself in a dirt driveway with a cordless drill and basic handtools.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bradfurd
Z Fury, maybe you can either confirm or correct me...

Is the $55 AutoZone motor a "lifetime guarantee" product?

That could be good or bad I guess...how similar of a product is it to OEM?
I did both sides. The ones I have from Autozone I had to order online and I forget the name. I think they were like $65 with lifetime warranty, and yes, I had to use that warranty in about a year on the passenger side again. I did use that power window module from, I think, the WS6store that ties the power for the passenger motor directly into a true 12v source*. That's not what killed the motor b/c it made a popping noise from the get go. The new replacement is quiet and seems faster IMO. Driver side as been good to go.

*the supposed reason the passenger motor goes first is because it's power source isn't 12v like it's supposed to be, it's like 11v. That plus the weight of the glass burns it up quicker. The module ties into a true 12v source (the accessary lug by the fuse box or direct to the battery) which increases the speed and supposedly the life of the motor. I can't comment on life yet b/c the first replacement had issues day one but the new one, so far, is ok.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:07 AM
Teching In

sounds about right replacing mine for third time in 2 yrs
Old 06-21-2011, 07:55 AM
Launching!

I need to fix my passanger side asap, no ac in florida with only one window blows.

Have any of y'all tried use this to "fix" window motors by bypassing the heat resistors?:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...tors-pics.html
Old 06-21-2011, 08:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I see that this post is a little old.If you haven't done this yet, DON'T be tempted to buy the E-bay one.They are made in China, and you'll be doing the job again real soon. I made this mistake, and the cheap one had a burial at sea!!.fwiw
Old 06-21-2011, 08:35 AM
Launching!

Which ones are made in the us?

Quick Reply: Driver side Power Window