Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

A/C not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C not working

So when it finally got warm here in Mass, I turned on my a/c and only warm air was coming out. I looked under the hood yesterday and noticed that I am missing a belt. I have no idea where this belt went. Does anyone know what else this belt drives? I feel as though I am having trouble with my power steering also.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That one belt should drive everything. If you don't have it, you need to get it ASAP and probably shouldn't be driving the car.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My LS2 has two serpentine belts. One specifically for the AC (closest to the motor) 4 rib,and the much longer serpentine belt that runs the P/S, Waterpump, Alt (closest to radiator) 6 rib. You would have major overheating issues if the one for the waterpump is missing. I would guess you lost the A/C belt, but maybe post a pic and someone could let you know if you are unsure.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:50 PM
Staging Lane

You may want to check that the crank pulley is fully seated and inline with the other pulleys. They have been known to walk, though I don't know what conditions cause it, or if you have to mess with it before it becomes a problem.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:54 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

You have two belts, your most forward one is for water, alt, power steering and on idler. Your aft belt is for a/c only I believe... 4 rib v, can't remember length.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:55 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

My phone sucks....
Old 05-24-2011, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I stand corrected. I just pulled up a diagram online and it showed only one belt.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

My LS6 has 2 belts. I changed them both before.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:42 PM
On The Tree

I was looking at changing the A/C belt...PITA, only way I could figure out how to get to it (told by someone else) was to pull the radiator, unless someone has a better idea.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:05 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Aaron Thomas
I was looking at changing the A/C belt...PITA, only way I could figure out how to get to it (told by someone else) was to pull the radiator, unless someone has a better idea.
I've replaced several belts on different year CTS-V's and changing both belts should take you 10-15 minutes tops (it pays .2 under warranty). Just remove the primary belt, then the A/C belt, then install in the reverse order. I wouldn't recommend taking any advice from the person who told you to remove the radiator.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TurboStangJON
I've replaced several belts on different year CTS-V's and changing both belts should take you 10-15 minutes tops (it pays .2 under warranty). Just remove the primary belt, then the A/C belt, then install in the reverse order. I wouldn't recommend taking any advice from the person who told you to remove the radiator.
I plan to do a cam swap in the next two weeks. Do you think it will hurt anything if I wait until then since the belts are going to come off anyway? I don't want my a/c compressor to seize from not spinning.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by hnic91
I plan to do a cam swap in the next two weeks. Do you think it will hurt anything if I wait until then since the belts are going to come off anyway? I don't want my a/c compressor to seize from not spinning.
It won't hurt anything not being spun because it just free spins whenever the clutch isn't engaged. Honestly, I would try to put an A/C belt on it to make sure the compressor doesn't already have a problem that caused the belt to come apart. I've seen some of these compressors have low RPM sloshing issues that cause the compressor to chatter at idle or slightly above idle. This condition usually causes the tensioner to break or the A/C belt to come apart. However, unless you've been hearing a loud screaching before the A/C stopped working I doubt that's the problem.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

I couldn't get my big paws in there. I guess I need to find a contortionist to change my belts or someone with tiny hands.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:07 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Aaron Thomas
I couldn't get my big paws in there. I guess I need to find a contortionist to change my belts or someone with tiny hands.
I use a long pry bar in order to get the belt on then I have a long bar with a socket on the end that I use on the tensioner. Sometimes I go below and install them then come up and finish the rest.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TurboStangJON
I use a long pry bar in order to get the belt on then I have a long bar with a socket on the end that I use on the tensioner. Sometimes I go below and install them then come up and finish the rest.
I just brought the car to a small shop they said $50 to install so I said ok. They tried and said hell no they aren't messing with it it's too hard, so I'll just wait until my cam install which should be very soon.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:10 AM
On The Tree

Default Mass AC

Mine has developed a lovely little trick. Blows red hot air for 20-30 mins, then works perfectly. Recently done: Maggie, in tank fuel pump, headers, 8" harmonic balancer. Car has 5K miles, 2006 LS2. Something must have been disturbed somewhere along the line, just don't know what!
Old 06-01-2011, 11:33 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS2duc
Mine has developed a lovely little trick. Blows red hot air for 20-30 mins, then works perfectly. Recently done: Maggie, in tank fuel pump, headers, 8" harmonic balancer. Car has 5K miles, 2006 LS2. Something must have been disturbed somewhere along the line, just don't know what!
Sounds like a possible sticking temperature actuator inside the car. Is it just one side or both sides that act up? It's pretty common for them to go bad when the battery is disconnected because they resweep their position and get lost in the process. Another possible problem could be the wiring going to the compressor either being loose at the connector or an intermittent open in the wiring. This also seems possible because you would have been working around it while doing the header install. If you cannot figure it out I'd at least have a dealership check the HVAC control module to see the position of the temperature doors.

Quick Reply: A/C not working