Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

HELP.. Monster pressure plate is grinding on Quicktime Bell

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP.. Monster pressure plate is grinding on Quicktime Bell

This was honestly the last thing I expected to happen. I started up the engine for the 1st time and I heard a chirping that I thought could be the pilot bearing. Sound went away for a while(started engine no more than 20 times running only for 2 min)... Today I ran it for 30 minutes and the sound came back but in a tic tic tic type sound. TO GET TO THE POINT... I got a camera into the bell housing and saw a bunch of metal shavings, small/large strands. Eventually I located a patch on the bell housing wall that had been chunked up by a rotating assembly. Flywheel shows no signs of wear. Could not locate what was hitting the bell (battery ran out on scope). Pressure plate seems like the only possibility... Any advice??? I know I need to pull the tranny... Hell, if the bell is possibly out of spec enough to have the problem I'm having, what else am I going to run into... Its not my first clutch job either...Maybe my last ha ha. Thanks!!

Background Info: 70 Chevelle, LQ9, T56 Magnum, Quicktime bell, Monster level 2 Kit
Old 05-24-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like it's not interfering THAT much.. I would call the Quicktime people and get measurements, to ensure that it was manufactured correctly (it is a fabricated part after all.) Everything is doweled, or i'd suggest that you loosen the hardware and try to move the bellhousing/transmission to where it had more clearance. Remember also that the clutch will expand with heat, so you'll want to make sure it's got plenty when it's cold.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Interesting, Quicktime said should use a 11inch disc. even though ppl use 12inch monster with no issues. Interested in your findings.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:34 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the responses. I guess I missed the part about the Quicktime bell requiring an 11'' disc... Well, I will post some pics of the carnage tomorrow when I pull the tranny... I have a hunch that it wouldn't be grinding if the bell housing was as centered to the crankshaft as can be. Before I was told by Quicktime to just just mount it up and forget about it, I did my best to find the total indicated run-out from the bell housing center in relation to the crank center. If I were to compare it to a clock, the bell seemed to be up and to the right (2 o'clock) from center. So I have some off-set dowel pins coming soon to either fix the problem or test my theory... I feel if I left the transmission/bell/crank alignment as it is now, I would probably chew up pilot bearings, and that would go over like a turd in a punch bowl.......
Old 05-26-2011, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I have a QTP housing and the Mcleod RXT, now I'm worried about this. Please update with findings.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I have seen several post of people useing a 12 inch disc and had no issues. The RXT I dont know about. But I just installed my quicktime bell and a monster 11 inch and went together and lined up fine. just waiting on a new master.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:45 PM
Banned

I've sold a ton of the RM8020 bellhousings and not a single complaint reported back to me.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:44 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was good talking to you on the phone, let me know what you find out.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:26 PM
Staging Lane

So I located the problem or at least half of it... The grinding noise was the input shaft rubbing on the slave cylinder collar (the section that slides over the input shaft), really strange. Input shaft was only scored on half of the circumference and was hitting the upper center of the slave collar. I really have a lot of trouble getting the trans to go in the last 1/4'', about the time input shaft would enter the pilot bearing, and the trans dowels meet the bell housing. I'm thinking something is forcing the input shaft up into the slave collar. Clutch disc, bell housing alignment are top candidates...I'm at a loss at the moment and running out of ideas. I aligned the bell to within .005'' mis-alignment, still cant stab it in that last 1/4''... Through this process I have not hooked up the hydraulics and am thinking that that may help settle the clutch disc to where the input shaft wants it to be by dis-engaging it ("IF" it is not aligned properly, don't really trust these plastic alignment tools). Even then, that wouldn't solve the issue of not being able to get tranny in all the way...This is a brand new T56 magnum and I can't imagine that the input shaft is bent??? Anybody have any wisdom, this is driving me up the wall... Thanks!!!
Old 05-28-2011, 09:39 AM
Banned

If the input shaft is rubbing the slave, you definately have an alignment issue. Check to make sure nothing got pinched between the block and the bellhousing when bolting it up.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I second what was stated above. Something is misaligned when putting it together, more than likely it's something simple that is staring you in the face.

Well, at least that is typically the way it works with my luck.

If you have any other clutch questions just give us a call.
Old 04-18-2021, 09:54 PM
Staging Lane

Did you ever find the solution to your problem?

Quick Reply: HELP.. Monster pressure plate is grinding on Quicktime Bell