Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

satelite radio question

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default satelite radio question

i just got a xm satellite radio and the model is the delphi roady xt and it comes with the normal xm antenna. i have an 02 silverado and i want to use the OEM xm antenna that comes on the 03-06's. can i just cut the xm antenna that came with the radio and splice it to the oem antenna? i dont care if it's the shark fin antenna on the newer chevy's or if it's just the nub looking one. i just dont want to run that xm wire outside. i want it to look like it came with the truck and make it look clean. im capeable of doing what it takes to do this i just wanna know if the oem xm antenna just has one wire to splice into or is it different. i have looked online at pictures and it's hard to tell. ill post up pics of the antennas that i found.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

here is a pic of the nub antenna. it's hard to tell if that is a normal wire. it kind of looks like a cable of some sort or iunno. i dont wanna buy it and then not be able to use it.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:08 AM
On The Tree

I'm not really sure about what you are doing, but you did say that you do not want to run the antenna outside the vehicle. I know this is going in your truck, but in my camaro I ran the antenna under the dash so that it is completely stealth. I also still get excellent signal, even with my entire windshield tinted.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Friedrice
I'm not really sure about what you are doing, but you did say that you do not want to run the antenna outside the vehicle. I know this is going in your truck, but in my camaro I ran the antenna under the dash so that it is completely stealth. I also still get excellent signal, even with my entire windshield tinted.
yeah i considered that but with the antenna on the roof you get the best possible reception. with it on the dash your prob right it gets good signal but i want to put it in the best possible spot. i dont mind the antenna on the roof i just want it to look "stock" and not aftermarket ya know.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:24 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

You never want to cut and splice the cable from a satellite radio antenna - it's a micro-filament coaxial cable that will lose more signal at the splice than you would by mounting the antenna inside.

On the other hand, there is a good chance that the factory antenna cable has a connector that you can plug into your Roady. There were only two types of connectors used and there are adapters available to connect one type to the other. When I did something similar on my wife's Envoy, I only had to remove the plastic surround on the connector to get it to plug in.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah i have read that on other forums but looking at that picture it looks like that cable is really short. if i mount my radio where i want to mount it, i only need about 1' length of cable.