Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Why would I want an aftermarket Panhard bar or LCA's?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why would I want an aftermarket Panhard bar or LCA's?

I was thinking of doing some suspension upgrades to my car, and am wondering where to start.

I run Koni rear shocks, and have a set of Bils to go in the front, but everything else is stock.

I know I def want to go with a set of 35/22 swaybars, I know the benefits of those.

However, on a car with stock height suspension and the stock rear end, when is a tubular panhard bar and new LCA's a good idea?

As far as the LCA's, I know they can be a bad thing, as the poly bushings can bind and make it harder for the axle to articulate...not good on a street car IMO.

However, I know it's possible to get them with rubber bushings. Would a set of tubular lca's with rubber bushing be better than say a set of the stockers with 1LE bushings?

And same goes for the PHB...I know an adj one allows you to recenter the axle. In fact I run adj on the front and rear of my Jeep...although in the Jeep world we call the "track bars".

But I really don't need that with this car.

Any benefit to a fixed length PHB on a stock height/rear car?

And I imagine the poly bushings shouldn't be an issue with that, since bar doesn't twist, it just goes up and down.

Sorry for all the questions, I just want a clearer understanding of these parts. I read a bunch of posts, but didn't really find a "why you need it" kind of post.

Thanks!
Old 05-24-2011, 10:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Your rear axle in these cars isnt articulating like the axles in your jeep. The poly bushings will not be a problem in your street car and if your are really worried about axle articulation your can go with rod end LCAs. Aftermarket LCAs and panhard are going to greatly reduce flex and unwanted suspension geomatry change in your car.

And dont forget the inferior stock torque arm, replacing your stock LCAs and TA will all most completely eliminate wheel hop. Its also a good idea to do relocation brackets for the LCAs and crossmember for the TA

I did all of the above (LCAs w/ relocation, panhard w/ relocation, and torque arm w/ relocation) and i cant believe what a difference it made in the way my car handles. Better launches, better corners, just better all around
Old 05-25-2011, 09:29 AM
Staging Lane

I too question the need for an aftermarket panhard bar and rear control arms for a non lowered car. I have the 1LE suspension on my 2002 and I've never had any wheel hop issues. I would try the 1LE bushings first.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:19 AM
Launching!

The adj. LCA (poly/rod end) w/ relocation brackets made an incredible difference with eliminating the rear from squatting and you can feel power being transferred to the ground much more efficiently.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for all the info.

Seems like these are cures for symptoms I don't have. Looks like I'm good with the stock stuff for now. I have plenty of traction, and no wheelhop issues at all. Being just about all stock with 2.73's is probably the reason for that.

I'll just change the bushings to 1LE parts if I need them, otherwise I think I'm golden.

As far as axle articulation, no, I won't be rockcrawling with the thing, but the axle still articulates some, such as when pulling out of driveways or most parking lots at any angle, or when going over speedbumps at an angle, things like that.

And I hate rod ends, so I'd never use those. I used to run a front TB on my Jeep with rod ends, I hated it. They wore out very quickly and made all kinds of noise. I'll never run rod ends again.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:26 AM
HWI
TECH Enthusiast

Wait, there's still people riding around at stock 4x4 height?
Old 05-26-2011, 01:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, all of us who can't afford Koni's/Strano's yet
Old 05-26-2011, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99SSJarhead
Yeah, all of us who can't afford Koni's/Strano's yet
Or those of us that have to contend with lowsy roads. My car hits enough as it is, I could never lower it.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lightbulb

X2

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
Or those of us that have to contend with lowsy roads. My car hits enough as it is, I could never lower it.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

x567.342
Old 05-28-2011, 06:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Or a mix of both.

I could never afford to lower my Camaro (it needed money elsewhere anyway) and even if I could, I wondered if I really wanted to given the roads.

At least the springs were a bit saggy so it was already "lowered" a tad and wasn't as 4x4 looking as many others
Old 05-28-2011, 09:27 PM
HWI
TECH Enthusiast

Pussies. Hawaii has the worst roads I have ever seen and I roll on BMR springs and Koni shocks, just gotta take it slow sometimes.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What's the fun of driving slow on roads in a fast car
Old 05-28-2011, 11:55 PM
TECH Regular

If they're rough enough for a lowered car to go slow, do you really want to beat the hell out of your car bouncing it off of bumps at high speeds on those roads?
Old 05-29-2011, 10:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I bought my car with bil/eibach pros that had lca relocation and I thought the car handled amazing. Did tubular lcas (with rubber bushings) and an adj phb couple months ago and it made my car handle even better. The #1 thing I loved about this upgrade was the rear end doesn't get upset over bumps. Bumps I slowed down for don't feel as bad anymore.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DWake
I bought my car with bil/eibach pros that had lca relocation and I thought the car handled amazing. Did tubular lcas (with rubber bushings) and an adj phb couple months ago and it made my car handle even better. The #1 thing I loved about this upgrade was the rear end doesn't get upset over bumps. Bumps I slowed down for don't feel as bad anymore.
Thanks for the info! Maybe I will look into them then, with the rubber bushings.

My rearend does get a bit unsettled going over bumps while cornering, the Koni's helped a bit, but it still does it.

Quick Reply: Why would I want an aftermarket Panhard bar or LCA's?