Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

detriot locker situation

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 10:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default detriot locker situation

try to keep it short but, and im not bashing ANYONE or company, not mad, just tryin to see how i should go about this

basically i bought a moser 9in from texas speed, again no complaining to them they were great, got it in and got installed at a shop, i got 3.70 gears and full Detroit locker, ever since install it had been very clunky and weird, asked people here and there ( and here) about it if its suppose to be like this etc, i always got a yeah its gunna suck its a locker, o ok, so i left it alone, well i when i got my car dyno tuned (first person to actually drive it) said the rearend felt weird might have bad backlash should get it looked at, so i took it in and he got it apart and said the gears and all were perfect, the locker itself was the problem, wasnt engaging correctly on one of the sides just kinda locked when it wanted too and didnt lock, why i was getting random clunking and felt like the rearend was loose, this is my DD so i went ahead and had them install a tru trac in it and get it back on the road, hes going to giving me the locker back.

now is this something i should call Detroit about and see if they take it back?
some one else suggested sending it back gettin it rebuilt then resellin it?

wondering what u guys thought, thanks!
Old 05-25-2011, 11:15 AM
Staging Lane

did you try callin texas speed and asking them. that would be my first thing i did. ive never bought from them but everything i hear is good. they may be able to help you or at least point you in the right direction.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I got rid of my locker for the exact same reason, a ton of backlash in the locker itself, noisy, and when let off the gas and back on it would pop and float around, called some folks and they said it was the way the detroit locker is. WORST MOD I EVER DID,, sold the thing on ebay with lunder 50 miles on it, and went with a spool, I drive mine on the street, not bad if using a hard tire and dont take tight turns. My .02 detroit locker is a piece of crap. But there are some guys who swear by them.

Last edited by RARON455; 05-25-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by topgeer
did you try callin texas speed and asking them. that would be my first thing i did. ive never bought from them but everything i hear is good. they may be able to help you or at least point you in the right direction.

yeah thats were im going to start, i should get my car back today or tomm, once i get the part itself in hand and all the paper work is when im gunna start calling and see, just wanted to see if others delt with similar situations and how it went or suggestions

he said this locker wasn't working right, its a performance shop thats worked on stuff like this before, they have like 15 cobras in the shop at all times lol, but have dealt with ls1 cars and all before, he did great on my dyno tune
Old 05-26-2011, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nature of the beast.......
Old 05-26-2011, 02:34 PM
TECH Resident

so i got the car back today with the tru trac in it, wow what a diff, dosnt feel like the rearend is about to fall out of the car and it doesnt wiggle and jiggle when going down the road and shifting, feels amazing lol
Old 05-27-2011, 02:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a D-locker in my last truck and got used to it pretty quickly but I can see how the noise wouold be amplified in an F-body so I don't blame you....
Old 05-27-2011, 03:43 PM
TECH Resident

well the clunking didnt bother me, it was the fact it felt like the axle was about to roll out of the car each time i let on or off the gas, and the wheel hop/ engage disengage 20 times in 5 secs so it shook the car to death was annoying but
Old 06-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Hmmm, I just put mine(moser 9) in 3 days ago and have the EXACT same issue. With the car jack up you can rotate the driveshaft 1/3rd before the locker turns the tires. This is the not the gear backlash....the actual locker.